Dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dai123

Reaction score
Hiya folks just about to dry hop for the first time but reading different ways etc I've got citra pellets which I'm adding to a wilko ipa I'm thinking of dropping them straight in Primary tomorrow which is day 10 and siphoning off to secondary for bottling on Sunday which is day 14 I'm thinking shall I just put them in loose as I'm siphoning off to secondary saves using a bag etc
Thanks

Hiya folks just about to dry hop for the first time but reading different ways etc I've got citra pellets which I'm adding to a wilko ipa I'm thinking of dropping them straight in Primary tomorrow which is day 10 and siphoning off to secondary for bottling on Sunday which is day 14 I'm thinking shall I just put them in loose as I'm siphoning off to secondary saves using a bag etc
Thanks
How sure are you that it will be ok to bottle on day 14 u cant always trust kit instructions I've had some kits take 3 weeks to finish

Make a hop tea the night before bottling, add it to the bottling bucket on the day.

If you use them loose, and I would personally, you’ll need to strain them out when transferring to your bottling bucket. Cold crashing helps but you won’t clear them fully in your timescale. Have you got an Aldi nearby? Ours do big mesh bags in the veg aisle for 25p, ideal for straining or indeed throwing in the FV with the hops.

I put the hops in a clean cafetiere, fill with 80°c water, leave overnight, press, pour into bottling bucket before syphoning in the beer.
at 80 degrees you may get some isomerisation so you potentially could be adding bitterness to your finished beer rather than just essential hop oil compounds.

as mentioned above mesh bag with something to weigh it down some marbles that are sanitised should be fine

at 80 degrees you may get some isomerisation so you potentially could be adding bitterness to your finished beer rather than just essential hop oil compounds.

as mentioned above mesh bag with something to weigh it down some marbles that are sanitised should be fine
True. Can't get 80c out of my head. Must've read it somewhere at some point. Like, you must rack to secondary or you must hydrate dry yeast.

Latest posts

Back