need ideas for summer wines to brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsoa1111

Landlord.
Reaction score
hey, guys more of a beer brewer but i reckon time to remedy that this summer so could use some advice on what to be brewing in the 6 odd weeks im home- so speed also important here...

ive got all the bits and bobs, and fairly good at using em,

atm thinking a load of 5l tesco water bottle djs with these kinda wines:

WOW (only wine ive made thats been as good as bought)

100% sultana wine- can be done http://webstore.thevillagemarket.co.uk/ ... 10566.aspx

DIY belgian candi sugar wine (kinda hope will be like a not mead????) with some mild spices maybe

banana wine (is this nice?)

probably a fruit teabag wine aswell? (not sure on as come out kinda cheap rose and not a big fan, ie not proper wine)

BUT REALLY NEED A DECENT FULL BODIED RED, ideally cheap and not a kit, but ive not found a goer yet as my elderberry wine attempts have been not great, hoping they just need time and or blending (but with what???)

Any WOW type are good with a selection of fruit juices. Mango is nice but the taste does carry through. Pomegranate or Fruit of the Forrest are also nice for rosé wines. Banana on it's own I find a bit heavy and needs lots of maturing time. When it comes to reds you are going to have to go down the kit route. Richards Red is as close to a WOW red as you will get, but by the time you have bought all the ingredients the cost is about the same as a kit and about the same as a lower end kit quality. Red also needs at least 4-6 months maturing. WOW's are drinkable in about a month. I would go for a Beverdale, Cal Con or Kenridge Classic reds which cost about £50 and you get about 28 bottles of a decent red.

Elderberry wine needs more patience than about any other type - at least five year's maturing, and preferably longer.

thanks for the feedback guys, guess theres no way round it, will have to save up for a proper red wine kit if i want proper red wine...

still i suspect that wont stop me from trying to add elderberry s to a sultana wine later in the year...

apparently fermenting the juices under pressure-ie in a pressure barrel increases extraction of goodies from fruit skins???

Latest posts

Back