New to home brew - and I'm loving it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum a couple of months ago and now decided to register, introduce myself and give you my brewing life story. I’m Adrian, 29, live in Bucks and just converted my third bedroom into a brew room.

About 2 years ago my misses bought me a beer brewing starter kit for my birthday (something she has come to regret) after I mentioned that I wanted to brew my own beer. It took me about 6 months to finally get round to brewing it and the results were promising, it tasted pretty good and was nice to have a full keg sat next to the sofa. The only problem with the beer kit was the process is quite boring, just mixing some syrup with water and chucking the yeast in.

A few months went by and I decided to go out and pick some sloes for some sloe gin. My parents used to make it and this was my first attempt at doing it. I started picking away but the fruit I was picking was slightly larger than a sloe, had softer flesh, slightly elongated shape and tasted nice. I moved onto a few more bushes that had some proper sloes on them. After some research I discovered that I had found a patch of damson trees and that they were good for making damson gin and wine. That was the catalyst I needed for my new hobby, free fruit to make cheap drinkable beverages. After I whipped up some sloe and damson gin with the first batch of fruit I went back to the bush and picked 7lb of fruit and knocked up my first wine following online recipes with the equipment I already had. Results of wine have been favourable, it tastes like a quality red wine and is quite drinkable, problem is I’m not a fan of red wines!

Since then I have been making all sorts:
Spiced Mead
Alcoholic ginger beer mk1
Alcoholic ginger beer mk2
Cider
Sloe wine
Raisin and black beer wine
Alcoholic ginger beer mk3
Spiced Sloe Mead
Straight Mead
Cyser
Kiwi Wine
WOW

The ginger beers have been an obsession of mine. It has been my plan to make an alcoholic version of the soft drink and I think I have created a recipe I’m very happy with. The first one I made like a wine and came out with a high ABV and not enough ginger. The mk2 had good ginger heat, about 3.2% but lacked taste. The mk3 was very good, was about 3.5%, had a bit of bite with some mild ginger heat that then got replaced by a secondary burning in your ears. Next plan for the recipe is to up the ABV and tweak some of the basic ingredients, mk4 is going to be a winner.

The meads have also been a bit of an obsession. They’re simple like the beer kits but easy to tweak to give it a bit of a personal touch. The sloe mead came about as I had some sloes in the freezer that were left over from the wine and the misses wanted her freezer back. Initial tasting of all the meads are good but I can’t be bothered to wait the recommended 12 months aging time.

I love Gales raisin and black beer wine so decided to try and make my own but after failing to find a recipe I decided to make one up based on the small amount of info I could find. This turned out to be a major disaster due to one comment I found on the internet that said to use treacle, it just tastes of treacle and is way too sickly. I think I know what I did wrong and could probably fix it but after such a disaster I’m reluctant to try again. I now have 5 bottles of booze that is too grim to drink but I can’t bring myself to pour it down the sink, maybe I can cook with it!

The cider I made with a friend from apples and a lot for hard work. I got some dessert apples from my in-laws and some cookers from my mate and started to pulp and juice them. The results were excellent but very hard work for the 8 litres we made. This year I plan to up production and bring in some help and hopefully make around 35 litres.

That’s pretty much it for now. Future plans are nettle wine, turbo cider, proper cider, proper perry, sloe wine, damson wine, parsnip, more meads, cherry wine, apple wine, blackberry wine, summer fruits wine, ginger wine, ginger beer mk4, partial and all grain beers and others.

This hobby is great.

Welcome to the forum.

Many of the resident alkys on here (myself included) occasionally make a substance called 'Turbo Cider':

4 litres of cheap apple juice (the 'from concentrate' garbage from Tesco, ASDA etc)
250g of sugar
1 tsp wine yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 carboy
1 week
1 hell of a headache

A trick I've learned when I make ginger beer is chillies - and lots of them. Boil them up with the mashed ginger. I'm going to add Scotch Bonnet this year. If I'm the only person who drinks the stuff, then that's a bonus.

Do you keep it only one week in fermentor and then bottle it? Do you drink it soon after or cook bottles to kill yeast? Thanx

luckyeddie said:
Welcome to the forum.

Many of the resident alkys on here (myself included) occasionally make a substance called 'Turbo Cider':

4 litres of cheap apple juice (the 'from concentrate' garbage from Tesco, ASDA etc)
250g of sugar
1 tsp wine yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 carboy
1 week
1 hell of a headache

A trick I've learned when I make ginger beer is chillies - and lots of them. Boil them up with the mashed ginger. I'm going to add Scotch Bonnet this year. If I'm the only person who drinks the stuff, then that's a bonus.

I was going to do some turbo cider next but found some Tymbark Cherry Apple stuff in Tesco, its Polish and only cost £1.20 for a 2 litre carton. I'm going to bung it in a DJ and make something 6-7%. Lets see what this tastes like in a couple of months.

I put chillies in my mk2 and mk3. They added the lingering burn that I really liked but others found a bit too spicy.

Svarrogh said:
Do you keep it only one week in fermentor and then bottle it? Do you drink it soon after or cook bottles to kill yeast? Thanx

Well, the first time I did it, the stuff had raced down to 1.002 in 5 days (champagne yeast). I didn't bottle it at all - just racked it to another carboy and banged it in my beer fridge - it dropped crystal clear in no time. I was probably drinking it after 10 days - and I think it lasted another 2 days after that.

Cold, still and very refreshing.

Latest posts

Back