Water cooled or overnight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adajam4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going into my first brew this weekend and have got my grain bill all ready and am ready to get going I think. I have a cooler which I can connect up to the water, but a friend of mine has said that he has no issues in leaving it to cool overnight to room temperature and pitch the yeast from there. I am assuming that if everything is perfectly sanitised this can cause no issues?

Thoughts?

I start brewing in the morning and finish about 2 in the afternoon. I transfer to the FV while it's still hot and let it cool by itself. It's ready to pitch the yeast by bedtime. I always think it's best to transfer it to the FV while still hot so it sanitises the FV by it's own heat.

That sir is a great point...

I think if I start at 07:00 or weigh out the night before, I should be done by 14:00. I hope.

there's a thread on here on immersion chiller, there's two gents on there on page two beercat and johnnyboy that have been doing this method for years with no problems.
I will be doing it too for my next.

I start brewing in the morning and finish about 2 in the afternoon. I transfer to the FV while it's still hot and let it cool by itself. It's ready to pitch the yeast by bedtime. I always think it's best to transfer it to the FV while still hot so it sanitises the FV by it's own heat.
so this throws the theory of oxidation out the window?

When I've no-chilled I've cooled in the boiler, and transfer to the fv just before pitching. As I drop it in, it splashes and helps oxygenate the wort, which occurs more easily for cool wort than hot.

I've down no-chill for my last 2 brews. Mainly because it was raining so I couldn't be bothered getting wet just run the hose through the window and connect it to my chiller. Last beer has turned out very nice, and is probably the clearest beer I've done. Last night's was a wheat beer so I hope it isn't the clearest beer I've done!

I do much the same as Cwrw666. I transfer the hot wort to the FV (I always sanitise it first which is probably not necessary but I like to be thorough.) Make sure it's sealed and an airlock in place so no nasties can get in.

I pitch my yeast the next morning usually. Just make sure you give it a good stir to get some oxygen in there before the yeast goes in.

One issue you might find, depending on the beer style - whilst cooling over a long period you will lose some aroma from your late hops. This is due to various science reasons that I'm not qualified to explain!

There's a good article on tinterweb on no chilling. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

yes! that's the one. I think john palmer mentions it as a bad practice

I believe from what I've read on here (I'm sure there was a link to an article/study somewhere) that it's highly unlikely to happen to a home brewer and it's a commercial production scale risk/problem.

Either wot Mick says or it's a myth. I've been chucking my near boiling wort into my no-chill cube to cool overnight for as long as I've been AG brewing (about 3 years) and have yet to experience any negative effects from doing it

I'm looking at getting a fridge to make a fermentation chamber and do my first AG brew. If I boil the wort in a large stock pot and put the hot stock pot in the fridge to cool the wort is there any reason that wouldnt work to chill the wort? If that wouldnt work I may look at the no chill cube.

Either wot Mick says or it's a myth. I've been chucking my near boiling wort into my no-chill cube to cool overnight for as long as I've been AG brewing (about 3 years) and have yet to experience any negative effects from doing it

+1 for this, I've been doing the same since I started all grain. I've thought about making a chiller, but as our water's metered I don't fancy running water down the drain for half hour every saturday.
My only concern is how well the cube handles the near boiling temps that I subject it to, I have noticed that the handle flexes a bit when I move it.
Having said that, I've had no problems so far; and I've learnt that clarity is down to my own patience.

I'm looking at getting a fridge to make a fermentation chamber and do my first AG brew. If I boil the wort in a large stock pot and put the hot stock pot in the fridge to cool the wort is there any reason that wouldnt work to chill the wort? If that wouldnt work I may look at the no chill cube.

I'd think you would have a huge amount of condensation. Also the fridge would be working very hard to cool your wort and it would take a long time to do it. Up to you but aside from the cost of the cube, that method costs nothing.

I'd think you would have a huge amount of condensation. Also the fridge would be working very hard to cool your wort and it would take a long time to do it. Up to you but aside from the cost of the cube, that method costs nothing.

is it easy to transfer the wort into a cube? Im guessing an auto syphon with the tube running nicely along the bottom..

As I have only just started brewing and so far 3 kits and 2 extracts, I have not been able to afford a chiller yet.
Being on a water meter does not help, so i bought a large plastic bucket which I intend putting my kettle in to cool the wort.
It should only take about a gallon to fill up which isnt too much water to change every so often to cool it

Back