Ghost vineyard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I discovered an abandoned vineyard in the middle of a local public park. Fenced off and professionally planted with about 100 vines, of which only 50 have any life left in them. The grass is regularly mowed around them but the vines are untended. Can't get any information about it. Really wierd.

I rang the parks department a week ago who said they'd look into it, but no response, which implies they don't know. There's no mention of it on the park website. A local person recalls seeing something in local paper 10 or more years ago about the council giving permission for someone to set it up. A park gardener said it was a bit of a grey area.
My guess is whoever set it up has moved away, got sick or died.
Of potentially 98 originally planted vines, only 33 show any signs of life, the rest are either missing or totally dead.
So I've started pruning and have repaired the fence. I've long fancied the idea of a vineyard as a retirement project. Now I have the opportunity to try out the idea without commitment, gain some knowledge and experience and get lots of fresh air and exercise. So far only 3 people have spoken to me: A dog walker who told me what little she knew and wished me luck, another dog walker who apologised for her pet getting in under the fence and a young lad who thanked me for explaining what the area was, as it had always been a mystery to him!

Thats great news Tony. But dont write off what you think may be dead until next spring.
The weather you have there at the mo' may have affected them, i would prune the lot back to 2-4 buds and wait until next year to see what sprouts in the spring. You never know there could be a few asleep - lol.
Mine are just starting to drop their leaves now and the new buds will probably appear late next month when we prune them here.
I would also take some cuttings of year old growth about 4-6 buds in length and stick those in the ground too to see if they will sprout as well. I got 4 new red vines off mine before the damn neighbor destroyed the original one. I lost 150m2 of my land because the govt here said so, and they gave it to someone else who has completley dug up ploughed and destroyed what i had there apart from one grapefruit bush which i have to dig up next month and move to my side of the fence. :cheers:

Many thanks for that and sorry to hear that news. It's disgusting what happened.
The dead vines I refer to are really dead. Just stumps of decaying timber loose in the ground. Most of the rest had been cut back 2 buds beyond the last bunch of grapes, most of which were dessicated, not shrivelled but shrunken and bone dry, mummified really. Frozen in time, post apocalypitic yet not quite dead. Perhaps very early ripeners totally starved of water. No water supply on site and virtually no rain till August, and then just short showers, followed by warmest and dryest September ever. Evidence of fungal spores on some, but these have not been mildew conditions.
There is a group of very healthy vigorous vines in one area, totally overgrown and unpruned with plenty of fresh edible black grapes, probably Pinot Noir, and some small white grapes, but too low in sugar for wine, due to overgrowth. This suggests an underground source of water in this spot.
My strategy is to to work down the rows, cutting out the obvious dead wood, damaged stems, growth 2 buds beyond bunches, dead or alive, remove dead bunches and non fruiting canes and see what remains. Basic summer pruning.

Once that's done, I'll rake up all the prunings, dry them out, burn them and scatter the ashes round the vines. Good potash. Then apply lime. Little understood these days. It unlocks nutrients in the soil. It really works, but should not be applied at the same time as nitrous fertilser.
In January, I'll do what you suggested and pray for rain for the cuttings!

Thanks Tony. We had a fungal attack on ours this year and acid rain wiped out the entire region where we live. Going to prep for it next year by getting hold of the fungal spray for around April and also this time we are going to cover the two vines i have spanning the roof 12m with polythene sheets to keep the rain off the budding flowers.
I have to water extensively from may onwards as temps get up and over 40+ c here in summer, sometimes we also flood the garden to soak everything too although one side does have a small stream running past the rest of the garden goes like concrete. Hence at the moment i have most fo my stuff in large pots as garden is secondary to getting the house sorted. :thumb:

A little of topic but on another forum i mentioed my vision of all of England planted with fruit trees, council estates you name it, plant them in the millions, i hope the supermarkets dont like my idea though, maybe a project for H F W, Dave

I was surprised at actualy home many apple trees there are round are way. I found a whole road lined with big red juicy apples a right mess on the roads though. Probably why them don't plant many. Didn't HFW feature it in one of his shows where groups plant veg in public areas and also pick fruit trees for the community.

Milton Keynes has a load of fruit trees on public land. No one much picked them until the Eastern Europeans moved in to the area, Im quite glad to see them being used to be honest.

graysalchemy said:
I was surprised at actualy home many apple trees there are round are way. I found a whole road lined with big red juicy apples a right mess on the roads though. Probably why them don't plant many. Didn't HFW feature it in one of his shows where groups plant veg in public areas and also pick fruit trees for the community.

"Incredible Edible" in Todmorden. They have big planters in various places round town and also plant on bits of waste ground. Veg, salad greens, some berries etc. Anybody can take what they like, few people seem to bother. They also have a couple of big polytunnels on some land the owner had no good use for.

nobody knows what to do with fresh grown veg nowadays - you'd be amazed how many people struggle to recognise the original plant that fruit or veg comes from - potatos, carrots, beets, etc, etc.

oldbloke said:
"Incredible Edible" in Todmorden. They have big planters in various places round town and also plant on bits of waste ground. Veg, salad greens, some berries etc. Anybody can take what they like, few people seem to bother. They also have a couple of big polytunnels on some land the owner had no good use for.

Might have to sneak over the border and see what is available. :lol: :lol:

Every school should have them. Instead of competitive, aggressive sport, kids could get plenty of fresh air and exercise learning just how hard it is to grow food. I tried this once and the veg was incorporated, as far as possible, in the school meals. Digging up potatoes was like discovering gold! The kids would ask 'Is this our own?' and if it was, they'd enthusiastically eat stuff they would usually decline, partly because they owned it but also because it usually tasted better.
However, the head teacher disgraced himself. When I returned from summer holiday, there was a large indentation where a huge pumpkin had recently been. He confessed no knowledge as to it's whereabouts, but I later found in a local paper that he had won a prize for it as his own produce in his village competition! There is hope for humanity, but only if you start young.

There is some sort of program running to get gardening into schools - I keep getting the vouchers from A Supermarket for tools. My kid's primary has a few flowers etc but also veg and soft/tree fruit.

Very glad to hear that! Slightly spurious though, as supermakets are busily concreting over land in ever bigger sites, encouraging people to buy excessive amounts of salt and sugar processed snacks, squeezing native farmers profit margins and then buying cheaper imported produce, causing British fruit to be left rotting as it is uneconomic to harvest.

tonyhibbett said:
Every school should have them. Instead of competitive, aggressive sport, kids could get plenty of fresh air and exercise learning just how hard it is to grow food. I tried this once and the veg was incorporated, as far as possible, in the school meals. Digging up potatoes was like discovering gold! The kids would ask 'Is this our own?' and if it was, they'd enthusiastically eat stuff they would usually decline, partly because they owned it but also because it usually tasted better.
However, the head teacher disgraced himself. When I returned from summer holiday, there was a large indentation where a huge pumpkin had recently been. He confessed no knowledge as to it's whereabouts, but I later found in a local paper that he had won a prize for it as his own produce in his village competition! There is hope for humanity, but only if you start young.

Excellent work and perfect start for children. I wish schools would do more of this kind of edcuation. I'll put my soapbox away before I get on it properly!

The Head however, shame on him!!!

My kids school has a garden and some raised beds for veg. Unfortunately they seem to have got a grant for it and then not really bother. They tend to grow things they aren't able to harvest within the school year ie before they finish for the summer. At the summer fair everything seamed withered and dying and by the time they come back in september they have a new teacher new curriculum and the sweet corn has long been forgotten.

Ironic. I believe the original reason for the long summer holiday was so that kids could be used as free or cheap labour to tend and harvest the crops.
Maincrop potatoes would be their best bet. Apart from earthing up, they require little attention, unaffected by weeds and ready to harvest in September. No doubt, health and safety regulations would prevent kids peeling them and cutting them into chips, but most kids are prepared to eat jacket potatoes, providing the filling appeals to them. Economical too, as the smaller ones can be used as seed potatoes for next year. Spinach beet is virtually bulletproof, but not exactly every child's favourite veg!

Back