Walk this way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingfisher

Regular.
Reaction score
Yesterday I managed to make time to do a walk I've been looking at for some time. It takes in an old railway line high across Stanhope Moor in Co Durham circles through the small ex lead mining village of Rookhope and follows down Rookhopeburn to Eastgate and the main road, around 8 miles.

We started where the old railway line intersects the B6278 near Parkhead, which has a cafe and B&B and headed along the old formation to the NW. The line cuts across the rim of the Stanhopeburn valley and gives good views across four adjoining counties and at one spot to the sea. As you approach the summit you come across the remains of the old winding house for Rookhope and Boltslaw incline.

enginehouse.jpg

This was the original: http://www.durham-pa.gov.uk/durhamcc/DR ... Lead+mines

The descent into Rookhope is steep and once into the village there's a pub The Rookhope Inn that's flickered on for the past few years under different owners. We didn't stop there but headed down to Eastgate and the Cross Keys.

After leaving Rookhope on the metalled road there a footpath to the east marked Weardale Way. This path follows Rookhopeburn down to the main road. Although very wet and rough in places it passes Brandon Walls lead mine which has a very extensive area left intact with a mine shaft and waterwheel pit. The area is very overgrown and you must look hard to see the remains. From here you follow what was reputedly the old highway from Rookhope to Eastgate
and arrive in the outskirts of that village. If you turn right and again sharp right you cut across Rookhopeburn below the falls,
rb.jpg

cross the bridge, through the caravan site, walk down to the road and the pub-----which was shut at 2.00pm on a Friday :!:

:clap: As soon as I saw the 1st pic I knew where it was, I cycled the c2c a couple of years back and actually stayed at the Rookhope Inn at the bottom of the hill I presume you had just climed up (quite steep) we cycled on from there to Sunderland which was the third and final day of the 142 mile journey.

It's a great area - the pub was :hmm: interesting :lol:

Great pics :cool:

No we came along East - west and had a more steadier ascent. My mate's biked it both ways. It's a very popular MB route. Rookhope Inn I think has always been that way :wha: :wha: and some of the recent blow ins to the village now are stranger :( . If you stayed there a couple of years ago it was run by a charitable trust that went **** when the trustees started to fall out.

The C2C must be one of the best routes in the country.

Yes it was run by a trust, I forget the chaps name quite a large jolly fellow seemed to be in charge, I remember there were a couple of lovely dalmations at the pub.

Yep the c2c is a great ride :cool:

K I hope you don't mind but I had to dig out my pics from the same spot as your first pic.

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

Latest posts

Back