7 day Wines are they any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have looking on brewery shops on line I see there a load of these 7 day wines are they any good and if so which are the best 7 days wines to go for and which make as I am finding it rather confusing:-?

I made a 7 day solomon grundy and it was horrendous.
I'd go for a WoW (2 weeks) instead.

I have done 4 Better Brew 6 bottle 7 say kits (Shiraz/merlot & Cab Sav - yield 5 1/2 bottles @£12.49 for the kit). They have run to plan and given a wine that is pleasantly drinkable. Even when allowed to age for 24 hours! Like everything it's a matter of taste.

Would say the 28 day kits taste superior for the same money.

If you are after a named grape wine quickly and accept it as a £5 bottle you can't go far wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I did one (cellar 7) and whilst it's quite drinkable it's not a patch on the more expensive kit that I've done (beaverdale) from now on I shall be sticking to the more premium wine kits.

However if your in a hurry mine really was drinkable after 7 days.

I have looking on brewery shops on line I see there a load of these 7 day wines

Ignore the 7 day rubbish (gimmick) on the box fermentation will be finished when it is finished, i have made Solomon Grundy White in the past and it was drinkable these kits are at the cheap end of the market so you shouldn't expect too much, one of my favourite kits and one i make regularly is a WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc - 30 bottle Kit, you can read my review here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49224

If you would like to try making a WOW as suggested above have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thank you advice Taken I have looked at Others like Vineclasse (The one in the black box that does not need sugar) I see this one and the other one in there range in the white box which do need sugar have pretty good write ups on Amozon. I see the 4 week wine like California Connoisseur look good is there other makes in the 4 week range also seen this Beverdale anybody tried this wine Kit.? Sorry about all the Q but I am new to this sort of wine making the last time I made wine was over 50 years ago!:) and a lot of things seem to have changed since then:whistle:

I have looking on brewery shops on line I see there a load of these 7 day wines are they any good and if so which are the best 7 days wines to go for and which make as I am finding it rather confusing:-?

No there rubbish :nono:

Thank you advice Taken I have looked at Others like Vineclasse (The one in the black box that does not need sugar) I see this one and the other one in there range in the white box which do need sugar have pretty good write ups on Amozon. I see the 4 week wine like California Connoisseur look good is there other makes in the 4 week range also seen this Beverdale anybody tried this wine Kit.? Sorry about all the Q but I am new to this sort of wine making the last time I made wine was over 50 years ago!:) and a lot of things seem to have changed since then:whistle:

The California Connoisseur Cabernet Merlot makes a pretty nice red wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant believe this thread , what is a matter with you people , i know every thing is personal choice , but for gods sake 7 day wines, you would be better spending the money on X amount of �£3.00 bottles of drinkable ready made at the super market, i cannot believe that this stuff is worth buying , making or drinking , and who would want to make this s**t, are we not trying to achieve some thing better in our craft of Beer and wine making. You might has well pour TCP in a Ltr of grape juice. Sorry if this is a little abrupt but i just dont get it that any one would spend good money on these kits. There the equivelent to calling a pot Noodle a meal

Sorry Tanzanite but your comments don't tally with the 7 day kits I've done. The better brew 6 bottle kits (shiraz-merlot and cab sav) have certainly given £5.99 bottles a run for their money.
Equally the 7 day kit is a good way for someone to try wine making and get a result quickly. If you produce vinegar at least know you have to improve hygiene rather than waiting another 3 weeks plus to find out. You get to try different named grape kits.
If the kits were poor, in today's market place would they survive? What retailer could cope with poor product reviews?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sorry Tanzanite but your comments don't tally with the 7 day kits I've done. The better brew 6 bottle kits (shiraz-merlot and cab sav) have certainly given �£5.99 bottles a run for their money.
Equally the 7 day kit is a good way for someone to try wine making and get a result quickly. If you produce vinegar at least know you have to improve hygiene rather than waiting another 3 weeks plus to find out. You get to try different named grape kits.
If the kits were poor, in today's market place would they survive? What retailer could cope with poor product reviews?

7 day kits give 6 quid shiraz a run for there money, How does a wine ferment age and condition in 7 days. it does not . its impossible, they use turbo yeast even that cannot convert all the sugars to alcohol in 7 days. . Alcohol infused grape juice is not wine . All wine need aging and conditioning even fresh young wine like Beaujolais needs a small time to condition So how do these kit become a excellent red wine in 7 days ???????

Personally I'll stand by the wine the Better Brew 7 day kits I've made. It's certainly more than juice plus alcohol. Yes you can make better wine but to suggest that 7 day kits produce wine that is no more than grape juice with added tcp is unfair.
Besides how many £6 bottles can be described as excellent. They are what they are. Good drinking.

Personally I'll stand by the wine the Better Brew 7 day kits I've made. It's certainly more than juice plus alcohol. Yes you can make better wine but to suggest that 7 day kits produce wine that is no more than grape juice with added tcp is unfair.
Besides how many �£6 bottles can be described as excellent. They are what they are. Good drinking.

Some of the NZ wines started about that price and were amazing.....

I cant believe this thread , what is a matter with you people , i know every thing is personal choice , but for gods sake 7 day wines, you would be better spending the money on X amount of £3.00 bottles of drinkable ready made at the super market, i cannot believe that this stuff is worth buying , making or drinking , and who would want to make this s**t, are we not trying to achieve some thing better in our craft of Beer and wine making. You might has well pour TCP in a Ltr of grape juice. Sorry if this is a little abrupt but i just dont get it that any one would spend good money on these kits. There the equivelent to calling a pot Noodle a meal

I take it you have never tasted any of these wines so what do you base your latest outburst on?

I used to make 7 day kits and as i did not drink expensive wine i had nothing to compare them to so in my view they were better than the cheap white wines i used to buy from Tesco and ASDA, i still regularly make the WineBuddy Sav Blanc kit (£22:50 for 30 bottles) we also regularly make supermarket juice based wines (WOW's) which are cheap to make yet taste great, at the end of the day as you say its personal choice to suggest there is something wrong with people buying cheap kits is ridiculous.

Most kit wines get better with age. The seven day headline is nothing more than marketing drivel.
I generally buy Kenridge kits and cellar 7 yet i found the Cellar 7 Cabernet Sauvignon kit (with oak added) more to my taste than the Kenridge even after aging both for a minimum of a month. Ultimately it all comes down to personal taste anyway.

The cheap white kits are fine, but for reds you need to go further up market, but bear in mind that concentrates and sugar cannot match wine made from fresh 100% pure varietal wine grapes.

Latest posts

Back