The Dolby System "English" Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Dolby System "English" Saison. 19/03/17. 2.2kg Maris Otter, 1.9kg Vienna Malt, 470g Torrified Wheat (had no Wheat malt) and 112g of Extra Dark Crystal. 30g EKG at 70mins, 20 EKG at 10mins, 22g Dana at flameout. Got 21L of this and the OG is 1053 means at 1010 it will be 5.6%. Taste at pitch smooth lovely beer type taste..strange to say that but it must be the EKG that make that familiar taste, bitterness in the background, none on the lips, creamy with bitterness at the sides and back of tongue but subtle and blends in with the malt. Like the taste a this stage, let's see how the yeast changes this. Colour lightish brown. Pitched Danstar Belle Saison.

Moved to bottling bucket 5/04/17 - smell is very familiar - can't tell whether it is a reminder of a Belgium beer or a Wheat beer that I can smell/have memories of. Can't taste it yet until after lent next week.

The Dolby System "English" Saison. 19/03/17. 2.2kg Maris Otter, 1.9kg Vienna Malt, 470g Torrified Wheat (had no Wheat malt) and 112g of Extra Dark Crystal. 30g EKG at 70mins, 20 EKG at 10mins, 22g Dana at flameout. Got 21L of this and the OG is 1053 means at 1010 it will be 5.6%. Taste at pitch smooth lovely beer type taste..strange to say that but it must be the EKG that make that familiar taste, bitterness in the background, none on the lips, creamy with bitterness at the sides and back of tongue but subtle and blends in with the malt. Like the taste a this stage, let's see how the yeast changes this. Colour lightish brown. Pitched Danstar Belle Saison.

Moved to bottling bucket 5/04/17 - smell is very familiar - can't tell whether it is a reminder of a Belgium beer or a Wheat beer that I can smell/have memories of. Can't taste it yet until after lent next week.

Don't worry,

Saisons absolutely need time to settle down a good couple of months IMO

they go from :doh: to :wha: to :hmm: to :thumb:

I actually find that they are also very nice fresh when the hops are most aromatic. Drink fresh or go historically traditional and age for 6 months.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I actually find that they are also very nice fresh when the hops are most aromatic. Drink fresh or go historically traditional and age for 6 months.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I suspect I will drink my first in a few weeks time but also now have the advantage of a whole load of other beer that is ready so can leave the bulk of these for those months to age, looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I might buy bulk Pilsner malt instead of MO for my next brewing schedule and give this another go using that instead of MO to compare the two.

Latest posts

Back