The3Cockers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The3Cockers

Reaction score
Hello folks. New to brewing & certainly to forums. Thought I'd give this a go. I will need to pick the brains of you experts.
Brewed a copper IPA 6.4% as my first brew. Was very pleasantly suprised with the result.
Now I've calmed down a little & last week racked a 4.5% light brown ale.
Fermenting at the moment is a Pilsner lager. Yes I did boil for 90mins. Lager yeast 2 packets recommends temp of 12-15c. This I've so far achieved at around 14c.
Only been in fermenter 5 days now with a slow bubble every 5-6 mins.
A conflict of information is now confusing. How long would you recommend a primary fermentation?
I've researched about diacetyl rest but again with conflicting information.
Please advise if you can help.
Thank you.

First unless you have an ill fitting lid and there is a leak so that CO2 is bypassing the airlock, you may have a stuck fermentation if you are only getting one bubble every 5-6 mins after 5 days.
So I would either take an SG reading and/or move it into a slightly warmer place to see where you are and to see if it restarts.
Lager ferments take longer than ale ferments, presumably due to the yeast being less active due to the lower temperature.
Most ale primary ferments will be finished in a few days. I usually rack off after 8/9 days, then give it another 8 days with the last two in the fridge to help drop the yeast. All this gives the primary chance to finish, a yeast clean up and almost clear beer.
I have a Coopers lager on the go at present, my first lager for many years. Even at ale ferment temperatures using the lager yeast provided Coopers recommend leaving it 2-3 weeks, and my experience so far seems to bear that out .

Thanks for the welcome & advice terrym.
Think I will monitor for next 24hrs then move to warmer place if no change.

Back