Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > How to use a Cornelius Keg Properly?

Old 26-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Fil

Liked 642 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 25

ake yourself a keg pressure checker by getting a pressure gauge and sticking it on the end of some 3/8" beerline attached to a gas in disconnect, you can ebay the gauge and a 1/4" bsp to 3/8" jg fitting Male fittings may require a barrel nipple too.. but with such a tool you can click it onto a keg to get an instant reading of its internal pressure and if it needs a top up..

The method i overlooked mentioning was of course to top up and check regularly and keep topping up as needed by staging the co2 addition like that takes a bit more input but also minimises the risk of over conditioning leaving on gas at a high pressure runs.

As with most things brewing the goal can be accomplished via a few different paths.

SPR Likes This 
Old 26-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #32
SPR

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdog View Post
for me youre overthinking this project and getting a bit fretful.this is the inside of my bar and outside all the kegs are sitting at room temperature which at present is 66.9F.I charge the cornies initially with a 30PSI blast and turn the bottle off,......
Thanks for clearing that up Godsdog and also the tip with the beer line as well.

Greatly appreciated

Although Ive been making beer quiet successfully, this is all new to me with gas bottles as ive never used them before.

Old 26-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #33
SPR

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
ake yourself a keg pressure checker by getting a pressure gauge and sticking it on the end of some 3/8" beerline attached to a gas in disconnect, you can ebay the gauge and a 1/4" bsp to 3/8" jg fitting Male fittings may require a barrel nipple too.. but with such a tool you can click it onto a keg to get an instant reading of its internal pressure and if it needs a top up..

The method i overlooked mentioning was of course to top up and check regularly and keep topping up as needed by staging the co2 addition like that takes a bit more input but also minimises the risk of over conditioning leaving on gas at a high pressure runs.

As with most things brewing the goal can be accomplished via a few different paths.
Thanks once again Fil for your help and tips.

Old 26-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #34
Godsdog

Liked 411 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Godsdog and also the tip with the beer line as well.

Greatly appreciated

Although Ive been making beer quiet successfully, this is all new to me with gas bottles as ive never used them before.
this is what I have to check internal pressure of cornie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170426_131441444[1].jpg  
Old 26-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #35
SPR

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
this is what I have to check internal pressure of cornie
Thanks for that. I've found a pressure gauge with 1/4 fitting, and probably one between 0-60 psi which i assume is enough. What's the black joining pipe callled as it looks good. It looks rigid rather than a hose and fits between the quick connect and gauge?

Oh and I've just cleaned and filled my first Keg with Cider. OMG! IVE SPENT 2 YEARS BOTTLING WHEN I COULD HAVE BEEN USING THESE KEGS!!! It's brought the enjoyment back into the hobby big style for me as it's effortless.

Am I supposed to leave a gap at the top of the Keg or fill to half inch or so as high as I can get ?

Old 26-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #36
Godsdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Thanks for that. I've found a pressure gauge with 1/4 fitting, and probably one between 0-60 psi which i assume is enough. What's the black joining pipe callled as it looks good. It looks rigid rather than a hose and fits between the quick connect and gauge?

Oh and I've just cleaned and filled my first Keg with Cider. OMG! IVE SPENT 2 YEARS BOTTLING WHEN I COULD HAVE BEEN USING THESE KEGS!!! It's brought the enjoyment back into the hobby big style for me as it's effortless.

Am I supposed to leave a gap at the top of the Keg or fill to half inch or so as high as I can get ?
Just make sure your fill level is always a half inch lower than the gas in stub and not covering it or you'll get beer up into the regulator, had it happen once
SPR Likes This 
Old 26-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #37
Godsdog

Can't help you on the psi quick disconnect as I had it from a lhbs,it is better than a piece of beer line though and cist around £15
Old 26-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #38
SPR

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Can't help you on the psi quick disconnect as I had it from a lhbs,it is better than a piece of beer line though and cist around �£15
Thanks for the level tip.

It's ok. I found one on brew UK and although it's £25 I dont mind as it's purpose built and ready to go.

Old 26-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #39
Fil

Liked 642 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-GUEST...iOyebfHXzQfGwQ
Male Thread adaptor / 3/8" to 1/4" bsb = £3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bsp-Female...rpRP6bjtdWdnaQ £2 ( and thats very expensive..)

and 50p on a roll of ptfe tape.. job done..

SPR Likes This