Longer mash consequences?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

Recently brewed a stout which was supposed to have an OG of 1054. My sparge heater was playing up though, so I ended up mashing for at least another 30 minutes whilst panicking about how to heat up the water I needed. Ended up with OG of 1062 - so I got another 8 points from somewhere...

This was an all grain kit (I'm just getting back into it) and states a FG of 1017 - I've hit 1026 and I think I'm done....

So my question is has my extended mash released unfermentable sugars causing my gravities to be higher and if so, how will this have affected the taste?

Just to add that I'm using a grainfather so the mash temperature was consistent.

Thanks!

It could well have done.. I have mashed for 2½ hours before although I haven't found it to boost it that much.. there are many variables.. They say for TRUE Biab for example they recommend a 90 min mash anyway because you skip a sparge.

I think overnight mashes do get high efficiency so there is some logic in releasing more sugars and better efficiency, I am not sure it would make 8 points difference though alone for just an extra 30 minutes..??

When I did some overnight mashes I found that some of my beers had a higher efficiency like you've experienced.

However, from my reading, you get MORE fermentable sugars not less from longer mash times as the extra time gives the enzymes time to break down the bonds in the grain to create more fermentable sugars

If your brew has indeed finished, the higher OG/FG will give a more full bodied and chewy stout. Mashing higher/for less time is one technique you can use to get more body into milds and other low OG beers.You seem to have somehow mimiced this

Last edited:
Thanks - I suspect some of it is down to the machine being efficient with the recirculating mash. I'll have to be patient and take a couple more readings before kegging. It smells so good I'm getting impatient!:lol:

When I did some overnight mashes I found that some of my beers had a higher efficiency like you've experienced.

However, from my reading, you get MORE fermentable sugars not less from longer mash times as the extra time gives the enzymes time to break down the bonds in the grain to create more fermentable sugars

If your brew has indeed finished, the higher OG/FG will give a more full bodied and chewy stout. Mashing higher/for less time is one technique you can use to get more body into milds and other low OG beers.You seem to have somehow mimiced this

So if I did the standard mash @ 66 and then added another 15 minutes @69/70 I should get the sugars required and also more body?

So if I did the standard mash @ 66 and then added another 15 minutes @69/70 I should get the sugars required and also more body?

Not sure tbh as I know nothing about stepped mashes as I've never done one and so have never really done much background reading on them

Sounds like you're refferring to a mash out? you could add that stage but not sure you'd need it with a sparge

It is better to be consistent with efficienicny rather than up and down trying this and that..

If you're getting a good efficiency and it is consistent, stick with it I would say.

I've heard people say they get better attenuation with a longer mash even if efficiency is similar. This will make the beer more dry.

Latest posts

Back