kegging after fermentation is complete

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcraig

Reaction score
Hi all,,,couple of newbie questions before I start my new lager kit
I've done a couple of lager kits so far,and I'm ready to start my third,a youngs lager kit,,,this time tho I'm gonna keg it in a corny,,
I've got all the necessary equipment(I hope lol) and managed to bag a second-hand larder fridge off of eBay,,and hoping to sort out some co2 this week,got regulator and disconnects ect,
So a couple of questions
If I brew it short say to 20 litres instead of 23, do I use less sugar?
after the fermintation is finished,do I just syphon into the corny keg seal it up,then put it under pressure to carbonate it?
Do I still need to add sugar wen I transfer it?
How long to leave it before sampling?
Emmm I'm sure I've more questions but can't think of any more atm,,
Thank in advance for any advice

I usually use an auto syphon to rack then put about 10psi in. After that, I release some of the gas by pulling up the safety valve a few times. This lets the air out and covers the brew with co2 (I keep it at 10psi). I then cool down to about 2 degrees in the fridge and pressurise to 30psi. I then roll it around the garden to mix all the co2 into the beer and then I leave it for 2 weeks or so before I drink it. Just remember to let the gas out before you drink as you don't want it coming out at 30psi. Re-gas to about 10 - 12 psi.

No priming sugar needed if you are force carbing.

Cheers McMullan,thanks for the linky ,that's helped,
Im thinking along the lines of force carbing,I've got a another corny lid ordered with the tube and .5 micron carbonation stone ,but it's a couple of weeks away on the slow boat from China
So much to learn here lol
You reckon five days under pressure in the fridge would be about rite then?

Cheers McMullan,thanks for the linky ,that's helped,
Im thinking along the lines of force carbing,I've got a another corny lid ordered with the tube and .5 micron carbonation stone ,but it's a couple of weeks away on the slow boat from China
So much to learn here lol
You reckon five days under pressure in the fridge would be about rite then?

Ah... the carb lid. They work perfectly. Nice tight carbonation after a couple of days. it's quite impressive. PITA to fit and remove, though, but it's just technique. Make sure you use rigid type 3/8 tubing to keep to carb stone low in the keg :cheers:

Edit: Those from China are fine, but you'll have to replace the keg lid seal, gas in post and possibly the small dip tube underneath it. As soon as it arrives, unscrew the dodgy gas in post and bin it.

Okey dokey McMullan,,,al bear that in mind
So you reckon the carbonation time will be reduced to a couple of days using the carb lid instead of the stock lid?

Okey dokey McMullan,,,al bear that in mind
So you reckon the carbonation time will be reduced to a couple of days using the carb lid instead of the stock lid?

Yes, about 2 days in fridge about 15 psi and you're good to go :p

Latest posts

Back