Leave in FV or Rack to Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Latest brew (4% blonde / pale) is currently in the FV. This will be the first brew I'll transfer to a shiny new corny keg that's eager for action.
I took a SG sample last night I was concerned fermentation may have stalled. It has in fact already fermented down to the target FG of 1.008 (from OG of 1.040) and is bubbling again today.

I wasn't planning to keg until next weekend (having brewed last Saturday). However, I'm now wondering whether to rack sooner or just leave it in the FV?

If I transfer sooner, I'd essentially be racking this weekend, purging and leaving in the keg for a couple of weeks before carbonating (planning to drink around Christmas).
Any danger to the beer in this scenario? It would be kept in the shed so nice and cold in this weather. I only have the one corny so can't do a second transfer once it's cleared...

Fairly sure I'm pretty safe with either scenario, but any advice welcomed.

Ta,
Dan

Doing either is fine. By transferring you'll be using the corny as a maturation tank. Try it, see which suits your work flow.

Back