What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewferm Triple - to 9ltrs using 500g of golden syrup.

1.075 on the nose. Fingers crossed. :thumb:

I would suggest you harvest some of the yeast trub in two 250ml bottles that previously held lemonade.

One yeast as a pale ale.

Other as a dark ale.

Lots of recipes out there and some are as easy as opening 2x cans Coopers Lager.

I would suggest you harvest some of the yeast trub in two 250ml bottles that previously held lemonade.

One yeast as a pale ale.

Other as a dark ale.

Lots of recipes out there and some are as easy as opening 2x cans Coopers Lager.

Keep in fridge, yes?

I'm assuming this imparts some of the character of the Belgian into the new brew?

Thanks - i'm going to do some googling! :thumb:

Did a Goldings SMASH BIAB - wanted to try out my wort cooler for the first time as been using the ice bath method.
All went sterling, wort cooler so so making life easier !!

Until... came to flame out hopping.. realised I didn’t have a hop sock... rather than wait and sterilise one I chucked in the hops...

80% through off loading through tap into FV and it blocked up.

Ended up with about 17l from what should have been 20l.

False bottom on the Peco is ****e !

Wort tastes ok mind and OG good.

More lessons learnt !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had some random grains left over from previous brews, so decided to chuck them together to see what it comes out like. Here's my recipe for what I'm going to title Mishmash IPA

4 litre batch

Pale Malt :-660 grams
Biscuit Malt:- 128 grams
Caramalt 20:- 50 grams
Light Munich Malt:- 114 grams

6 grams Centennial hops for 60 mins boil
5 grams Cascade hops for 15 mins boil

American Pale Ale yeast from Crossmyloof

OG:- 1.046

Here's hoping it's drinkable in about a month 🤞

I made a 10l BIAB Wadworth 6X clone. It was my go to pint 25 years ago and my brother (normally a lager drinker :nono:) said he tried it in a pub recently and couldn't get enough.

All went well until I knocked the multimeter I was using with a thermocouple probe, off the worktop and straight into the hot wort. :doh: I have taken it apart and left to dry, I hope it's not ruined.

I got an OG of 1047, slightly higher than predicted, hope it turns out nice.

An IPA, from odds & sods in the hop and malt bits stock
5kg Maris Otter pale malt
125 grm Torrified wheat
180 grm Crystal malt
1hour mash at 65c plus (1st time ever) proper sparge, I usually dunk sparge - the resulting wort was ever so much clearer than my usual dunk!
20grm Summit for 1 hour boil
20grm Challenger for last 15min boil

Now sat in the fermenter at 27c so I'll pitch the yeast - US05 at 24c or so
After a few days I'll dry hop with 20grm Challenger and 23grm Mosaic.

OG in fermenter is 1.058 & should end up at around 1.010 ABV 6.3

Should be interesting!

I bottled a Betterbrew Export Lager with a 30g Fuggles steeped hop tea, 1kg Pilsner BE and 40g of dark sugar. I used the last re-pitch of my summer yeast, Mauribrew 514. It was in the FV from 16/08 - 11/09, I had plenty of time to dry hop and I didn't, I really could kick myself. SG:1052 - FG:1007 and bottled into 600ml bottles primed with 1tsp of sugar, it tasted nice enough in the trial jar so I think it'll be fine. I put on a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown (I've got a soft spot for this kit), brewed with 1kg standard BE, 50g of dark sugar and a 25g steeped UK Cascade hop tea and this one I will dry hop, probably with the Fuggles. I used Danstar Windsor yeast for this and the heat band, timer and bubblewrap waistcoat are all back on board. I've been reading up on the Danstar Windsor and I'm thinking that I'll let this ferment out to 01/10/17 as it's reputedly got a low attenuation rate but quite a fruity flavour. There was a slight bitter hint in the trial jar so I'm hoping the fruity flavour of the Danstar Windsor will counter that and the long ferment will bring the FG down to under 1010 but we'll see how it goes.

Keep in fridge, yes?

I'm assuming this imparts some of the character of the Belgian into the new brew?

Thanks - i'm going to do some googling! :thumb:

Yes, that is correct. Keep the harvested trub in the fridge and it is fine for a couple of months, at least.

Using a Belgian yeast makes a massive difference.

Well, it did settle down after only 2 days, so I added the Blackberries 2.5kg yesterday evening.

Seemed like a good idea to add some cane sugar - just 200g.

Yeast kicked off again, and what with the fermenter saying 28L, I have had some copper coloured wort through the air lock.

Very fruity and very acidic after 27 days from pitching.

So much so, that even drunk half and half with a 6 month old beer, it dominates to a degree.

Maybe 2.5kg is a lot of blackberries that are really quite bitter tasting.

To compare berries - I spent a week working down in Harlow in Essex after picking my northern berries and was stunned by the size and sweetness of the soft southerners of the blackberry world.

It was a good week and running around Harlow is a delight - wide, well thought out paths for walking & cycling as well as running.

I tried my hand at something I call a Dubbel Porter, using a mix of brown and chocolate malt, dark candy syrup and somewhat more caramel than normal, fermented with Safbrew BE-256.

Code:
Sweet Dubbel Stout - Belgian Dubbel (18B)
================================================================================
Batch Size  6,150 L             
Boil Size   8,150 L             
Boil Time   60,000 min          
Efficiency  80%                 
OG          1,067 sg            
FG          1,013 sg            
ABV         7,3%                
Bitterness  40,0 IBU (Tinseth)  
Color       153,8 ebc (Morey)   

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name                            Type   Amount     Mashed  Late  Yield  Color        
Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel           Grain  1,025 kg   Yes     No    80%    7,0 ebc      
Caramel                         Sugar  171,000 g  No      No    99%    1.900,0 ebc  
Amber Malt                      Grain  133,000 g  Yes     No    75%    43,3 ebc     
Brown Malt (British Chocolate)  Grain  133,000 g  Yes     No    70%    128,0 ebc    
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L      Grain  133,000 g  Yes     No    75%    39,4 ebc     
Chocolate Malt (BE)             Grain  133,000 g  Yes     No    73%    905,5 ebc    
Total grain: 1,728 kg

Hops
Name           Alpha  Amount    Use         Time        Form    IBU   
Challenger     5,5%   18,000 g  First Wort  60,000 min  Pellet  37,5  
Kent Goldings  3,4%   6,000 g   Boil        10,000 min  Pellet  2,5   

Miscs
Name            Type    Use   Amount      Time        
Yeast Nutrient  Other   Boil  500,000 mg  10,000 min  
Irish Moss      Fining  Boil  500,000 mg  10,000 min  

Yeasts
Name            Type  Form  Amount  Stage    
Safbrew BE-256  Ale   Dry   5,00 g  Primary  

Mash
Name                Type         Amount   Temp      Target    Time    
Conversion          Infusion     4,827 L  70,806 C  65,000 C  1 hr    
Saccharification    Temperature  ---      ---       70,000 C  30 min  
Final Batch Sparge  Infusion     4,905 L  82,893 C  74,000 C  15 min

First brew in a few months on the grainfather.

Modified Greg Hughes single hop neslon sauvin. Less grain more hops

23l target 1.040

4kg MO

22G NS at 60
12G NS at 15
12G NS at 5
54G NS at 0

Hit 1.050 and smelt lovely going into the FV.

Moved my stout to secondary and added favourings/oak.

Light bitterness that I'm not sure on but I'm going to wait and see how it turns out next week. It's still early days.

Going to bottle on Sat and brew my fruit Smoothie IPA. [emoji16][emoji482]
b45da67699bf3b525ebaad20f66f8859.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back