Started first brew today..... made a booboo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Klaus I got a small bag of priming sugar the other day so I'm sorted with that when the time comes.

Regarding the progression of the fermentation, here is a typical graph from my Pill floating hydrometer. Ignore the actual SG numbers, they are not exactly correct but the key point is the shape. Notice that the vast majority of the fermentation happens in the first 3 days,then it drops off rapidly.
I usually leave it for 2 weeks though. Also 20 degrees C is normally fine, sometimes a bit less.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231203-114242-760.png
    Screenshot_20231203-114242-760.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
That's interesting BNB there's a lot of activity in the first 4 days. I don't have anything that fancy (as your pill) but it's still bubbling. Not as vigorous as the first couple of days but quite steady, though I think it has slowed down in the last 24 hours.

Its also not as pungent and smells quite a lot sweeter now which is good as it was pretty stinky early on. Hops will go on later. Going to try to just break the seal on the lid and slide the hops in with minimum disturbance and air leakage.

Last edited:
Bit puzzled now. Hops went in earlier and since then, fermentation seems to have stopped. The airlock levelled out when I put the hops in as expected, and it's still level both sides now, so there's no pressure coming out of the bucket.

I took a sample of wort when I put hops in. It smelled a bit like beer, but didn't taste like it. The SG matches what the instructions say, but the instructions say to ferment for 5 more days after the hops, so I'm a bit puzzled.

The starting gravity was 1.07 and the reading today was 1.01 that gives ABV = 7.88 which is crazy. It's supposed to be 4.6

I'm sure the OG is correct but something is wrong and no sign of any bubbling for several hours.

Last edited:
If the SG is matches expectations then it's probably fine.
Leave it alone for another week.
I suspect you are expecting more obvious signs. After a week the active fermentation is pretty much done.

Well, checked it this morning and level in the airloch hasn't moved,so about 14 hours with no activity.

Why would the instructions day to leave it fermenting for at least 10 days? It did seem a long time.

Well, checked it this morning and level in the airloch hasn't moved,so about 14 hours with no activity.

Why would the instructions day to leave it fermenting for at least 10 days? It did seem a long time.
Best advice is two weeks irrispective of how quick the yeast works ( at least before you get into kveik!) The yeast will need a few days to tidy up and settle out after fermentation ends

Ok, Rwilts. So I just carry on as before. Same temperature but expecting to see nothing happening? That's going to be a bit difficult.

I second what other have said above… always leave the beer for a couple of weeks, regardless of whether the bubbling has stopped. There can be a lot of stuff going on ‘silently’ in there that removes ‘off’ flavours (and also it gives the beer time to clear down a bit)

Latest posts

Back