Wild hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
I look after the gardens at a well know restaurant in nottinghamshire that is next to the river trent. After I finished all the jobs I had to do (honest ;) ) I went for a stroll down the river on the forage and found copius amounts of hop plants growing!! on comparison there were different varieties because of the leaf shapes.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if they would be any good and if there is any way of telling what variety they may be (or similar to) by the look of them? I have no experience in this at all.

Thanks

I've got one on my apple tree. I took some cones along to Matchfest a couple of months ago and the guys concurred on Goldings. I dried the entire crop and it's bagged in the freezer. I've been slowly introducing in cautious amounts it to brews alongside known hops as both bittering, flavour and aroma. So far it's going well.

Maybe you could try something similar next year? There's a lot of good articles on the web about drying hops.

I've also heard about people making "hop teas" to compare known and unknown hops side by side, without the expense, risk and variability of incorporating in a brew.

Just do a google search on hops.
Theres loads of info out there including free books from some sites to aid identification.
Most of the hop seller websites also have pictures of various strains too.

i say get em all and use em, i used wild hops a bit when they came in season for pickin, they made great beer.
lucky find

Back