Stuck S-04

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well I did a quick brewday for some reason or a thirst :)
didn't make up a starter of my usual yeast culture but instead used a emergency packet of S-04 I had saved for such occasions. Pitched as per usual way I used to pitch dryed yeasts @ 27-28c, ferment went off steady as it normally does, left it be for 7 days checked gravity and it's @ 1.020 :shock: with no signs on life. Doubled checked Atc temp against my temp probe and all is well 18c.
Now with the usual yeast I use, have brought down my ferment temps as always had them around 24-25c and now have nice steady ferments at 18c. So as a Trial I have done nothing other than raise the temp in the cupboard to 23c and low and behold it's bubbling again and no it's not just the expansion of the air, have dropped 2 points in 24hr.

:wha:

I try to limit my temp to 22 for fermentation, and never lower than 18. However in the garage at about 8 it will continue if I rack too soon, although it is very very slow.

I'm trying those stick on temp thingies for the first time, they seem to read on the high side. Possibly 2deg high.

Getting alternative yeast up here is tricky so I always use my own. Which is starting to misbehave a little just now.

Back