Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
jobby

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

started this kit early jan and kegged with 85grams of sugar after 10days fermenting, almost 3 weeks in the keg and its a good pint if a little cloudy still, will leave it for a few more weeks before tucking in, will add more info at that time

Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
jobby

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

well almost finished the keg and so far its the best brew ive done much better than the wherry, thats just my taste though. will be getting another one on when i have an empty keg.

Old 24-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
calumscott

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts

Just opened the first bottle of this.

Maybe a little on the young side still - it's only been in the bottle about 3 weeks, but the flavour notes are pretty damn similar to the pre-brewed stuff.

Shaping up to be a very nice pint indeed. Will do a direct comparison with a pre-brewed bottle after a month or so.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Williamo

This is my second brew after a successful Edme Stout that was bought as a Christmas present.

I have just bottled my Ruby and it looks okay although I found the instructions a little light.

When I mixed this and put it in the bucket it bubbled up and died back very quickly; maybe under 2 days. I then had to wait just under 4 weeks for the gravity to reach 1015, I had worried that this wouldn't get there at one point! Did anyone else have this experience?

I have bottled this up and will try and forget about it again for a month..

Old 17-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
calumscott

As promised, one direct comparison of the RRA kit versus a bottle of RRA from tesco...

Firstly this is in no way scientific and is subject to lots of subjectiveness even though I tried to be as objective as I could - but then I actually can't be because I made one of them myself...

The homebrew bottle is better than the bought bottle.

It's got a better mouthfeel, the force carbed bought version just doesn't have the velvety feel of the home brew, the fizz kills it a bit - and I like my bottled beer quite fizzy (I primed mine with 3/4 tsp in 500ml bottles).

The homebrew has a more rounded and mellow flavour (the key flavour notes are almost exactly alike mind) and a little more sweetness, again this could be the force carb of the bought version killing a little of the sweetness or it could be that the bottle conditioning just makes a better beer being "alive" for longer.

So I inflicted them both on a friend. She picked the homebrew not knowing which was which.

So I inflicted them both on SWMBO. She picked the homebrew KNOWING which was which and THAT speaks volumes!!!
Chris2304 Likes This 
Old 17-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Williamo

Hey;

Thanks for the update on this, I am really looking forward to trying mine but have at least two more weeks to wait!

Whats next on the list have you tried any of the other St Peters brews? We are heading to Suffolk this weekend so was going to drop in on the brewery; maybe they will give me some brew tips!

Will

Old 17-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
calumscott

I haven't, but they are made under licence by Woodfordes who make among others Admirals Reserve which I actually had to restrain myself from just guzzling the 40 pints in the space of a week and the ever popular Wherry which I recently bottled and tasted fab straight from the FV.

Old 22-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
ceejam

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts

Default St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

I've done this kit 3 times now, each time dry hopping with fuggles & cascade to try and get a similar hop profile to Inveralmond's Thrappledouser.
It is a lovely beer, certainly my favourite & goes down well with everyone else who's sampled it.

I'm tempted to brew this again & either not dry hop, or split into two batches & only dry hop one of them.
BigMuddy Likes This 
Old 24-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Andyhull

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well after reading Calums post i'll be adding this to brew list, the list keeps getting longer rather than shorter

Im suposed to be starting extact brewing in September after my birthday when my new toys will have been dropped off by the birthday man.

Old 24-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Williamo

Still a few weeks to go on my Ruby but I have picked up a Wherry kit for my next batch.. any tips?!