St Peters Ruby Red Ale how to change its taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scatcat

Reaction score
Hello,
Someone bought this kit as a present, unfortunately I don't like the taste of St Peters ales in general whenever I have tried bottled or draught versions in pubs.
Assuming I brew this properly I have a feeling I will end up with nearly 40pts of a brew I'm not going to enjoy.

Can anyone come up with a way that I can change the flavour somehow? Adding coffee? or something like that.

Thanks in advance

I haven't tried that kit, but red ales are rapidly becoming my favourite, I especially like the ones that have a red berry/ fruit/ jammy quality.

Perhaps add some cherries or other berrys ( frozen and at fermentation I believe search will provide specific s)

I have one of these on draught at the moment. It's nice enough but not anything special, just a good session ale and doesn't have any particularly distinctive flavours.

There's no way adding coffee to it would work, I'd only consider doing that to a stout or porter. If you want to enhance it in some way or another I'd suggest the best way would be to add a dry hop addition.

Thanks for replies.

I like the idea of adding cherries or such like, I'll have a search for details.

Check out what frozen fruit is available in bags from your nearest budget supermarket for inspiration.
(I think Lidl do either mixed summer fruits or raspberries. Also mango if you are that way inclined)

I think hops is the best idea, personally. Fruity American hops. If you like them. Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade, Simcoe. Those kinds of hops go well in a red ale and transform the flavour.

What's the main reason you don't like it? If it's common to St Peter's beers then it might well be the yeast and there's not a lot you can do if so. Although I'm not sure if the kit supplied yeasts are the same yeast as the brewery actually uses.

I liked the red ale when I bought a keg from them. To me most kits don't actually taste very similar to the brewery-brewed beers they are labelled as, and always have an inevitable can kit twang.

A dry hop to give it a fresher hop flavour might be nice.

What's the main reason you don't like it? If it's common to St Peter's beers then it might well be the yeast and there's not a lot you can do if so. Although I'm not sure if the kit supplied yeasts are the same yeast as the brewery actually uses.

I liked the red ale when I bought a keg from them. To me most kits don't actually taste very similar to the brewery-brewed beers they are labelled as, and always have an inevitable can kit twang.

A dry hop to give it a fresher hop flavour might be nice.
There's no chance the kit yeast is the same as the brewery yeast.

Latest posts

Back