Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Woodfordes, Sundew Review

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 30-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
RobWalker

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: Woodfordes, Sundew Review

Take another reading today pal, if it reads the same then go for it - visual signs are pretty useless at this point.

Mines coming off today, had a quick sample and I agree with the watery comment

Old 30-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
Pablo_C

Cheers Rob,

About to check SG and transfer over to allow batch priming etc.

Hopefully all should be well.

Paul
Planning: Woodforde Wherry, Wilko Pilsner

Old 30-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
RobWalker

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Well, this is a lot clearer than last night, we racked off into the keg and force carbed.

So yeah, it's quite light, not a huge amount of body. By no means does the heaviness compare to that of the wherry/admirals, it's probably one I'd like to see carbonated and served chilled.

However, there's some nice flavours coming through now, a good grassy hoppiness, lowish bittering and definitely a little toffee in there. Don't judge it just yet, it might develop into a banger

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
shweeney

just cracked my first bottle of this tonight - wasn't quite what I was expecting, bit sharp and wheat-beer-esque.

It's only been in the bottle 2 weeks, might give it another couple weeks to mature. this is the first all malt kit I've done.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
NathanJR

My kits have tasted very upon bottling, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Likewise, drinking after 2 weeks does not give you much insight to the final product. Try it after 4 but don't expect to guzzle on it until at least 6 weeks in.
Drinking: Werry #1, Strawberry Ribena Wine, St Peter's Golden Ale
Conditioning: Blackcurrant Ribena Wine, Wherry #2
Fermenting: Muntons Smugglers Special, Youngs Difinitive Cab Sav

Ready and waiting: John Bull IPA, Geordie Mild, Wine Buddy Cab Sav

Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Pablo_C

Hi,

Well, bottled mine a week last Monday, having primed it the night before and being unable to bottle it due to a broken crown capper, and after a few days in the warm, relocated to the loft.

Tried one tonight to see if I need to add a top up of sugar....

Slight hiss, and not much head when gently poured. A better, creamier head formed when poured a bit faster, although it did not last long, so perhaps a sugar top up is needed, as has been suggested to me.

As for the taste....not what I was expecting. Pleasantly fruity, but a very distinctive, almost Belgian-style tang (a la Leffe Blonde). Would anybody else agree with this?

Paul
Planning: Woodforde Wherry, Wilko Pilsner

Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi All,

Had my Sundew in the keg for 2 weeks tomorrow, have had a little taster and i agree there seems to be a tang to it but not in a homebrew kind of way. It seems to be getting less and less so hopefully another couple of weeks will see it much smoother.

I also did a few bottles this time and these have come out much darker than the keg sample with much more of a carbonation bite to them, even though i didn't go mad on the priming sugar.

I do wonder with this kit being a new one whether we're all jumping the gun a little on the tasting just to see what it's like (i know i did )

Old 15-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
Aitch

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitch
I've had to move mine out of a leaky keg to another keg tonight, I hope it will be ok, reprimed too time will tell I guess
I've tipped this today, wouldn't carbonate and just wasn't right. I know it was down to the above and I'm sure those that managed to brew this without hiccup wil have a cracker of a pint, just not me this time
Drinking - N'owt

Old 16-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
shweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_C
Hi,

Well, bottled mine a week last Monday, having primed it the night before and being unable to bottle it due to a broken crown capper, and after a few days in the warm, relocated to the loft.

Tried one tonight to see if I need to add a top up of sugar....

Slight hiss, and not much head when gently poured. A better, creamier head formed when poured a bit faster, although it did not last long, so perhaps a sugar top up is needed, as has been suggested to me.

As for the taste....not what I was expecting. Pleasantly fruity, but a very distinctive, almost Belgian-style tang (a la Leffe Blonde). Would anybody else agree with this?

Paul
I'd agree with the Leffe comparison - I've just tried my second bottle @ 4 weeks, its mellowed a fair bit since 2 weeks ago, not much head but fizzy enough for me. Its a pleasant refreshing brew, not sure I'd drink a load of them in one night, but should be nice with food. I was expecting something more IPA like, will probably go for an actual IPA next time - anyone any recommendations?

Old 17-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
muddy90

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney
anyone any recommendations?
Yep....... Better brew, it's right good

I had 3 of my sundews this weekend. Poured the first away! I thought it tasted chemically as if I hadn't rinsed the bottle properly. The second was a little better but the tang was still there. I can't see me getting through these very quickly, which might be a good thing.