First Cider Attempt - Foam/Scum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edam

Reaction score
Hi all

I started my first Cider attempt at the weekend with apples from my allotment (no idea what they are, they're inherited. I followed this recipe here making 15l.

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/cider-making/cider-making-made-easy

After 24hrs from adding the yeast there was a good inch thick layer of foam/scum on top. I removed it and another formed within 12 hours. There's some bubbles in the air trap every few minutes but nowhere near as vigorous as when I made gooseberry wine for example, so it seems to be doing something. It's a constant 22c.

It's also gone from a lovely light colour to a murky dark colour which I think is the tannins which I added.

Is the foam anything to worry about? Do I just keep skimming it off when it forms?

Cheers

Perfectly normal, the resulting froth is called krausen, it's just the yeast multiplying and being pushed to the top suspended in the foam due to the vigour of the fermentation, no need to remove it as it will subside over time dropping out with the rest of the suspended yeast. If you made beer you'd see it was like this pretty much all the time and you'd be worried if it wasn't there.

Skimming it off not good as firstly you're removing some of the yeast that has worked hard to reproduce and make alcohol, secondly you risk infecting the whole batch.

Hi Graz

Thanks very much for the reply. I had skimmed the first lot so will let it continue from now. I thought it might be like a 'cap' that could cause problems like increased co2 or heat.

Hopefully I've not done too much damage by removing. It's building up again so all looks good. It's never described in any of the cider recipes I saw online so was a little unexpected!

Cheers

Regarding the colour change, it’s normal for untreated apples (and pears) and not normally anything to worry about.

Back