Turbo cider on the go...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simondo

Reaction score
Just got on the go a turbo forest fruits cider, only started an hour ago and already got a good head of steam on it.
All I've put in so far has been, 1 litre Aldi forest fruits juice from concentrate, 2 litres Aldi apple juice, 1 tsp nutrient, 1 tsp pectolase, Wilko's universal Gervin wine yeast, 1 mug of tea (2 bags), 2 tsp sugar, just to experiment on final flavours. Will add another litre of apple juice after inital fermentation has died down, to avoid blowing through the airlock.
Now to sit back and wait for a week.....

Sounds good, Going to Aldi later so might give this a try. waiting is the hardest part of homebrewing.......

Cool! :thumb:

I just started a Ritchies on-the-rocks pear cider. The initial sample tested like . . . apple juice! I'm not sure what I was expecting (paella???), but I think I'll definitely have a go at TC.

Racked this off this morning, FG of 1000. Tasted too sour so added 3 tsp of splenda, along with a campden tablet and 1 tsp of stabiliser. Lacked the fruity taste, so guessing fermentation has most likely whacked it on the head. I'll give it another week and see what develops.

Simondo said:
Racked this off this morning, FG of 1000. Tasted too sour so added 3 tsp of splenda, along with a campden tablet and 1 tsp of stabiliser. Lacked the fruity taste, so guessing fermentation has most likely whacked it on the head. I'll give it another week and see what develops.
For the flavour to really develop will take more than a week - I didn't start drinking the TC for about 6 weeks but all the time I was drinking it it was getting better. The acidity mellowed somewhat but you never get a huge apple flavour from the straight juice. I believe OldBloke adds Suma apple juice concentrate to improve the apple flavour but I haven't tried this yet as I haven't found anywhere that sells apple juice concentrate yet. If you want more of a scrumpy flavour easy Greysalchemy on culturing Old Rosie yeast and getting mAll-lactic fermentation going - again I haven't tried this but it is on the cards for some time soon.

Meanwhile, get a few more batches on so they get time to improve.

Dave

OnlyFerment said:
Simondo said:
For the flavour to really develop will take more than a week - I didn't start drinking the TC for about 6 weeks but all the time I was drinking it it was getting better. The acidity mellowed somewhat but you never get a huge apple flavour from the straight juice. I believe OldBloke adds Suma apple juice concentrate to improve the apple flavour but I haven't tried this yet as I haven't found anywhere that sells apple juice concentrate yet. If you want more of a scrumpy flavour easy Greysalchemy on culturing Old Rosie yeast and getting mAll-lactic fermentation going - again I haven't tried this but it is on the cards for some time soon.

Meanwhile, get a few more batches on so they get time to improve.

Dave

1 litre of fruits of the forest isn't going to leave much of its own flavour, but it will have helped broaden/deepen/whatever the apple.
I've now switched to using only Suma concentrate for the apple part of my TC recipes as although it puts the ABV up to the max I want from a cider, you get so much more apple it's well worth it, and it's bang on for acidity - I had a bottle of one of my older non-Suma ones recently and it was still very acid after 6 months in the bottle. I've become convinced that standard cheap AJ is actually too acid (or at least the citric/malic balance is well off), though the Suma is the only one I've bothered using a titration kit on. It is a bit more expensive though, and you do only see it in hippyfood shops.

This actually turned out very nice, so much so that I've got batch 3 on the go as we speak, as it doesn't last very long. May have to brew up a 23 litre batch next.

This actually turned out very nice, so much so that I've got batch 3 on the go as we speak, as it doesn't last very long. May have to brew up a 23 litre batch next.

Did you have it un-carbonated then?? I want to bottle carbonate mine..
How long from starting it to drinking??
cheers.

Yes, I bottle mine as is, drunk flat,how I think a good cider should be, doesn't seem right fizzy. I usually leave mine fermenting for a week or so, just to make sure it really has finished, rack it off and leave for another 2/3 weeks, or until I'm desperate.

Experimenting with this now. Have bought a bottle of Cherry Vimto, and adding a good splosh to a glass before filling with cider. Taste is absolutely cracking, but goes down far too quickly.

Similar to my first TC on the go now except:

4 ltrs aldi chilled AJ, 100grm sugar, 1tsp pectulose, half cup strong tea (2 yorkshires) yeast and nutrient. Bubbling within 30mins it was. I plan to sweeten, bottle, keep for a while after racking. See what happens.:wink:

Latest posts

Back