Dry-Hopping Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GZCider

Reaction score
Hello there,
Wanted to ask any suggestions for Hops (going to use pellets this time around)
What hopps would you go with to Dry-Hop a Cider.

:hmm:

I would do it as you would beer. wait until fermentation is over place the hops in a sterilised muslin or net bag and weight with a sterilised Stainless steel spoon or something. How much you would add I do not know and what to add :wha: though I would have thought something citrusy would be good like cascade.

Thats what I was thinking Citra or Cass. How much and for how long?

Was hopping that there was someone here that has tried it, wow.
Is it against the 1104AD Apfelwine Purity Law? =)

GZCider said:
I guess dry hopping cider is just an American thing

LeithR said:
Dare I ask - why would you want to put hops in a cider? They are wonderful in beer but there are much nicer things to put into cider.

I have been Dry Hopping Cider for just over a year, its not just an American thing and nobody should Knock it until you have tried it.

Stick with American Hops I.E Amarillo, Cascade, Citra and you will achieve a refreshing cider that is absolutely sublime.

I generally Dry Hop around 25 Grams for a 20 Litre batch. For best results use loose leaf direct into the fermenter before fermentation has bottomed out. I add mine five to seven days after pitching the yeast.

My favourite Hopped hard cider recipe:

20 Litres cheap apple juice, 2 tins Pear Halves in syrup ( mashed) , Dry Hopped 25g Amarillo ( or Cascade or Citra). Back sweeten with Stevia or Canderal to taste . Carbonate with 1tsp sugar per 500ml bottle. Served over Ice it will blow your mind.

Give it a try you wont regret it

Sounds tempting=) Cheers!

Going to give it a go, trying pellets first because I have a lot around.

Thanks

I've made the Magnum pear cider and hopped it 3 or 4 times. first time I used centennial, second time was simcoe and third time was magnum crystal and galaxy IIRC. they were all pretty decent, i think the centennial i used 100g of pellets in 23L, then reduced it to around 50g for the other batches. its very good, don't knock it till you've tried it!

Cool,

But what do you mean you've 'made' the Magnum Cider? You mean like a Magnum clone?

for hop testing its maybe an idea to brew a cider as normal and put a tiny bit of hop in the bottle before closing it. leave it for some weeks and have fun sampeling :)
It is still on my to do list and will probably test with some different hop later this year. The advise here on the board is always great but its also up to your own taste.

I have seen this done by beer brewers to test out different kind of hop in beer. They get some bottles of bud light open them add the hop and close the bottles again. And after a few weeks they open the bottles and have a taste again. And they use bud light because it a nutral flavor. Will try and find the site again.

Latest posts

Back