Oak Chips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattN

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding some French medium oak chips size 2.

1 How much should I add per litre?
2 Should they be added at the start of fermentation?
3 I think that I have read on here that someone has re-used them more than one batch, is this correct?
4 Should the be sanitised prior to use, and if so, how?

Thanks

Matt

Very quick search on google,

"They can be added during fermentation, during aging, or as a “finishing” oak treatment

Recommended contact time: A minimum of 2 weeks is recommended (We also recommend tasting regularly)."

Common dosage apparently:

Dosage: 5-30 g/10 l wine. Contact time: a few days to 3 months.

Tips:

Put the chips in a hop bag for easy removal after use.
Try adding chips to the mash. This way, your wine is better protected against oxidation (better colour stability and longer preservation)

I don't think they need to be sanitised but if I was to guess maybe oven at a temp that wont burn them ? Maybe you dont need to :D

I don't know what kind of toasting levels the French oak chips from Youngs I use are, but if I put more than 3g per gallon (~6g per litre) then the oak flavour is too strong for my liking - even in red berry wines.

I would exercise caution - tasting - because once it's in you can't take it out, although I'm led to understand it will mellow somewhat with age.

I use Morgan rum boil the chips in alcohol for about 10 minutes and add to fv at the start . Around 30 grams is a good number as too much is over powering . I tried to make crafty old hen, oak aged it turned out ok .

Back