Yet another 'is it ready' question!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveM

Reaction score
Hello

Apologies in advance for asking a common question, but as a first time brewer I don't want to make any mistakes.

I started my Festival Landlord kit 13 days ago. Its been at a fairly constant 18 - 20 degrees during that time (if the cheap digital thermometer I bought is accurate!).

The SG was 1.040 which I think was a tad on the low side. I dry hopped after a week and the gravity was down to 1.020 so heading in the right direction. I took another reading on Wednesday and again last night and they were both 1.012. According to the instructions the FG should be 1.009, but I guess this is under ideal conditions and therefore may not be achievable. I plan to check again tomorrow (14 days) - if it is still at 1.012, do you think I'm OK to bottle?

I know patience is the key, but I'm keen to get this one bottled as I've already got my next kit which I want to start ASAP to build up a good supply!

I've learned so much from reading this forum over the past month or so, so I think I'm OK to proceed, but as a nervous newbie, I just wanted someone to confirm that. Thanks in advance.

Dave

If it's the same 2 days in a row you're good to bottle.

I did that kit and my fg was 1012.

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the gravity again on Sat and it was still 1.012 so I got on and bottled it. Its now sitting next to the radiator in the spare room to warm condition - the waiting game begins!

Cheers

Dave

Well, there's a thing...
I'd just logged on to pose pretty much the same question on the same brew.
Mine has been in the FV for three weeks now, with the dry hops pitched at 6 days. I too am keen to see it in the keg, but dammit, it's still going ! Room temp a constant 18 deg and a heater belt fitted. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet as the airlock is still active every couple of hours, even after three weeks. I guess that's good as I believe a slow and steady fermentation is the way to go...

I'd keep an eye on those bottles, and as mentioned, don't get em too warm !!!

Oh no !
Sorry Dave, no wish to hijack your thread, but....
After reading your post I couldn't resist a check on mine (see above post).
I cracked the lid to see clusters of small 3mm bubbles and a thin film across the surface. A quick sniff test reveals some fizz still going on.
Hydrometer reading 1.008 so that's good.
A little taster.... UUGH, it tastes bad, as in spit it out bad ! And as a Yorkshireman, that hurts .
There is no vinegar smell or taste, it's just very bitter/bad.

Have I lost it (25 quid !)
What's happened ?

Help

a thin film of what ?, its not going to taste wonderful until after it has had time to mature, how careful were you when cleaning and sterilizing ?, you have to work pretty hard to kill beer but you might have got something unpleasant in there, take a picture of the film / bubble clumps and give us a clue :)

Mac,
Hopefully there will be a photo attachment.
On reflection, and another taste. It is very bitter, but maybe not unsaveable.
This is my first 'premium' brew and the first time I have dry hopped.
I'm tempted to keg it with maybe 120g sugar to prime and maybe sweeten in up a little ...
Once again Dave, sorry to hijack your thread but this is important !

image.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it Redron it is probably from the hops you dry hopped with, I have had the same with another brew and it looked pretty bad but turned out fine.:hat:

Well, there's a thing...
I'd just logged on to pose pretty much the same question on the same brew.
Mine has been in the FV for three weeks now, with the dry hops pitched at 6 days. I too am keen to see it in the keg, but dammit, it's still going ! Room temp a constant 18 deg and a heater belt fitted. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet as the airlock is still active every couple of hours, even after three weeks. I guess that's good as I believe a slow and steady fermentation is the way to go...

I'd keep an eye on those bottles, and as mentioned, don't get em too warm !!!

Are you saying your dry hops have been in the fv for over two weeks?
How long do the instructions say they should be in there?
A friend of mine left his in a festival kit for about 6 days and the instructions said 4 days and it was far too bitter, the bitterness should reduce over time if bottled I think.

Hi Redron

I have to admit mine didn't taste great either - very bitter and hoppy. I had another taste just to make sure, and it seemed more promising - still not particularly nice, but the background flavour seemed OK (if that makes sence!). I reckon after a it of conditioning it will be lovely.

Cheers

Dave

Hi beerhunter/Redron

Thanks for the advice re: not letting the bottles get too warm. The heating isn't on much at the moment (a couple of hours a day) so hopefully they will be OK. I checked them this morning and the plastic test bottle is firming up nicely. Its still quite cloudy, but there is a good layer of sediment forming at the bottom, so they appear to heading in the right direction.

What is the problem if they get too warm at this stage? Is it just one bottle bombs, or is there a risk to the taste as well?

Cheers

Dave

I put the hops in after six days. The instructions say four. This is the first time I've dry hopped so I forgot. Perhaps in future it may be worth letting it ferment out nearly before adding the hops seeing as it is taking so long ??

So they have been in the FV now for over two weeks, perhaps this is what is causing the bitterness.
I'm confident my cleaning and steriliziing is up to scratch.

It's still fermenting this morning, that's 23 days now !
Also to add, there is some scum around the base of the airlock where it meets the rubber grommet (on top of the lid) ,probably from the initial surge. This has gone mouldy. I figured it wouldn't be an issue as the FV has always been under positive pressure, so I did'nt disturb it....

Dave, bottle bombs to 'watch' for. Other than that, you are just likely to get a very lively brew !!

I didn't want to mention this in my original answer but this was the last beer kit I ever did and it went to snail traps and down the sink. Far too bitter, as others mentioned, and basically unpleasant. Could be down to kit yeast or maybe poor aeration so not hitting fg. I now do extract brews with good quality yeast and ingredients.

It's hit it's fg at 1008 but it's still going.

I am tempted to keg it with plenty of sugar and give it time... Always a good healer of beer.

Guess I will be more careful with hops in future. I've read that folks put the hops in the mucilin bag originally supplied to aid filtration when siphoning, and just pop it in the brew, that way they don't disperse throughout the brew but still give the flavour.

I'm learning that brewing is not an exact science, but it's good to understand the process...:hmm:

The best way to dry hop is indeed to put it in a muslin or voile bag with something clean in it to weight it down, I'm pretty sure dry hopping should only be done for 4 days or so otherwise you increase the bitterness of the beer, two weeks is imho way too long, however as I said before a few weeks/months in the bottle may well make it drinkable, good luck.

Did a Festival Golden Stag and, whilst not having the hops in as long as you have with the Landlords Finest, I had them in after a week, guessing that it may take longer than the instructions to finish fermenting.

Guess what - it took another 8 days to finish! It was very, very hoppy! :shock: And I like hoppy beers!

Bottled it anyway, and started trying it after 2 weeks in warm and two weeks in garage. It was still very hoppy.

Know what though? A couple of weeks later and the hop bitterness is beginning to recede a bit. Still hoppy, but not now over powering. There's hope for your Landlord yet - just be very, very patient. :whistle:

I'm waiting for my Youngs APA to stop fermenting before I add the hop pellets for two days - we live and learn!!! :thumb:

Ok, some lessons learned here, and that's why these forums are good....

I took another sample tonight and though it is very bitter, like you said Dave, as did Hopping Mad, underneath there is potential for a decent finished article, so.....

In the interest of science and beer, I am going to keg it tomorrow with 120 g of brewing sugar to prime. The airlock is still active once an hour and the fg now reads 1008 as it was three days ago.
I am prepared to tie up a king keg for six weeks, with weekly samples after the first four, hopefully it should improve and I will give it more time if it does.
I learned this lesson from my first home brew forays back in the eighties, even with the cheap kits and some Tate and Lyle, time in the bottle/keg is never wasted.

I will report back.
Maybe you could do the same Dave, yours should condition a bit quicker in the bottles.
Keep us posted....

Hi Redron

Good luck with yours. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers

Dave

The best way to dry hop is indeed to put it in a muslin or voile bag with something clean in it to weight it down, I'm pretty sure dry hopping should only be done for 4 days or so otherwise you increase the bitterness of the beer, two weeks is imho way too long, however as I said before a few weeks/months in the bottle may well make it drinkable, good luck.

dry hopping does not increase bitterness, boiling hops increases bitterness thats why you use a hop with a higher AA rating on the intial boil, this is to release the alpha acids and counter act the sugar sweetness of the beer, dry hopping adds flavour and aroma, that is why you use aroma hops for this. 6 days will be fine, i normally leave mine for 8, choose wisely the hops you use (yodastylie)

Latest posts

Back