Beer and whisky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeybeer

Reaction score
So I asked about the beer making process which I think I am beginning to understand, I think. Anyhow, that got me thinking. I would like to make my own whisky and perhaps vodka. Now I understand I need to distill (if you have any info on the process that will be much appreciated) but where might I buy the equipment?

Now a noob question here. Could I use the distillery process to increase the abv of my beer?

I think you can use the freeze distilling method to increase the strength of beer. Not sure distilling works.
You can get a still in a number of online homebrew shops so you can make your own distilled water ;)

If you want to up the ABV of your beer, chill it in a suitably large fridge until ice crystals form on the top, skim them off, and repeat!

This how Brew Dog got their Tactical Nuclear Penguin up to 32%, or whatever it was, with the help of a local refrigeration firm.

Pull the shelves out of a knackered old freezer, stick your FV in once normal fermentation has finished (use best yeast, nutrient etc.), use a sterilized sieve to skim off the ice crystals now and again and Bob's your Uncle - undrinkable beer!!!

Thanks HM, I'm more after the whisky making / distilling process if you have any info on that? I did have a look around but couldn't find anything.

If I want to make my beer stronger I think I'll just add more sugar, it's the easiest way I think.

In the UK I'm pretty sure you need to have a license to distill alcohol because of health hazards etc - not sure if it's the same where ever you are. I'd look into that first...

The distillation of alcohol requires requires an appropriate licence from HMRC as there is high duty payable on distilled spirits.

Even so, if you type in AirStill or TurboStill on Google, you will find many who supply all of the equipment that you would require, as it is perfectly legal to distill your own water...

FatCol

...and you can't call it 'whisky' unless it's aged at least 10 years. I can barely wait the four weeks for a brew to condition, so I'd have no chance of waiting the 10 years!

Do you have any oak barrels handy too MB?

I'm thinking this is one alcoholic drink left to the professionals!:hmm:

Ah, I didn't know it is illegal. Who will know if I distill? Will they come after me?

I quite fancy giving it a try, who does it on here? There must be a few, shhh

Try homedistiller.com or stillsmart thats a forum for that sort of stuff very helpful and loads of info and recipes on there I think you have to register to look or post on there though

Thanks all for your help, I too am thinking this one is probably best left to the pro's.

Latest posts

Back