0% Home Brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevTheBev

Reaction score
Hi,
This is perhaps a tad bizarre to ask but is there any kits [I don't do mash] that are zero% alcohol ?

I ask as my son enjoys his beers but has taken to the no alcohols just now and was hoping I could make him a batch.

Kind Regards,

TrevTheBev

Use search at the top of the page and type "low alcohol beer" I don't think you will find zero but you may get close as I am sure there was a recent thread about diabetes and brewing.

Not that I am aware of.
To produce 0% beer is a complicated process and even producing low alcohol beer is in theory easy but getting a balanced beer is hard too.
It has been discussed a few times on the forum so search the threads and you will find some useful info athumb..

Intriguing conundrum this one. Using "extract" closes the commonly used techniques that rely on producing sugars with a low overall fermentability (that requires manipulation of the mash). There are yeasts available that refuse to ferment "maltose" (I don't like the flavour they produce, but many do). Give them a light all-malt (no "sucrose" or "glucose" type sugars!) and they might produce something?

But as @Chippy_Tea has said, there's no practical way of creating "zero" alcohol beer at home. Don't get taken in by suggestions of "boiling" made beer ... it can't work (for some sort of reasoning involving Physics). Best aim for 0.3-0.5% ABV fermented low-alcohol beers. And don't get enthusiastic with the hops or you end up with undrinkably bitter beer that doesn't taste too good either.

Thanks to all for your expert knowledge. I knew somebody would be able to offer advice and point me in the right direction acheers.

The Muntons Extract is a bit different as you don't ferment it. Boil, chill, and package. I think their concern is with the product stability and sanitation procedures, but I'd have to listen again to the Podcast to check their full reasoning.

East European kvas is considered being a non-alcoholic beer in Germany. Very simple to make - dry rye bread in the oven, mix up with sugary water and leave to ferment at a room temperature for 3 days
I like drinking it in summer or drink after sauna.
However, you need to bear in mind that, if you leave it to ferment for longer, you will end up with “drunk kvas” i.e. with higher alcohol content
Exact recipes are online
You may buy kvas in Polish shops, but I find kvas from Baltic countries is too sweet

0% might not be practical but small beers around the 1-2% range are a good option, practically alcohol free as you won't really feel the alcohol, and only a few adjustments to the usual brew day are needed, with the added benefit of only being half the cost to make and you can use a shorter boil of 15 minutes.

If you're doing it with extract I would say do a mini mash with grains like Carapils and Munich to make up for the reduction in body due to less base malt, mashed higher than usual temp around 75C to reduce fermentability. As said above, drop the hops down from your usual levels. Use a low attenuation yeast such as Windsor, S33, or others around the 70-75% attenuation range. These yeasts will not ferment maltotriose which gives less alcohol and more residual sugars and more body.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back