Advice on beerkit fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicusplum

Reaction score
Hi all
have just started an ale kit from wilko. I am a newby and just did what the instructions said (no fancy experimental tampering for me just yet) . I was wondering roughly how long it will take to ferment and more importantly how i will know when it is finished. With winemaking the airlock indicates that fermentation is finished but my beer is just in a big brewbin so how will i know? Help Please!:pray:

When I brew (kits or all grain) I leave the brew undisturbed for at least ten days. I take the gravity readings at that stage - generally it will have reached the required level by that stage.

With brew buckets you will have CO2 leaking through the lid seal and therefore airlock activity is not always a good indication.

Before I had a hydrometer (for at least 15 years) I bottled or kegged only after a fortnight had passed and never had any problems.

Hope this helped but no doubt there will be plenty more - we have all been through the early phases. Best advice is to be patient.

Agree with Klaus - a fortnight and you are unlikely to go wrong.

Very unlikely indeed.

Just don't mess with it or lift the lid.

Oh dear, i have been lifting the lid every day to have a nose. Hope i haven't ruined it.

Back