Put your beer somewhere cool to condition......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimXJR1300

Reaction score
So I have tried many different ways of getting from the end of fermentation to bottle/barrel and have as yet not really come across a definite 'proper way' and I'm hoping you guys have the experience and know how to help me out here.

I have a batch of IPA about to finish fermenting, its only a point or two off target FG which is nice. However the 'instructions' tell me to bottle (well I'm going to barrel) and then put somewhere cool to condition for a couple of weeks.
What is 'cool' - is there an ideal temperature to condition IPA and if so what is it or do I cool it to serving temperature (I like my beer cold)?
Do I simply barrel my beer which is currently at 21C and put it into my hacked fridge to get it to the 'conditioning temperature'?

Advice gratefully received...🙃

Carbonation by putting fermented beer into the barrel with brewing sugar but at what temperature?

It is a barrel with an S2 pressure cap (I have a gas canister)

Most advice is to carbonate at fermentation temp ( which is generally around 20 )

So yes carb up for a couple of weeks at that and then condition at lower temp.

But I have never used the barrels you are so others may have better insight

Experience tells me that beer is better after 2 months (minimum) in the bottle. The carbonation phase only takes a week or two at circa 20C but the conditioning should be pretty much as cool as you can get it. My (attached) garage faces North so works well for me.

I don't brew the hop bombs that seem very popular at the moment, and make an exception for the odd wheat beer, but to me, the longer a beer has been aged, up to a year or so, the better I like it.

Latest posts

Back