Forgot to add Campden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelt1980

Reaction score
I'm on my second brew of apple cider (first was too sweet) but I forgot to add campden tabs as I was juicing/pressing. Fermentation is going as expected- SG is reading 1000, still fizzing and bubbles in the airlock. Sediment is forming in the bottom and it's starting to clear. It smells of cider but has a very sour taste. Is this because I didn't add Campden???? I'm planning on racking after fermentation has finished, add finings and then bottle with sugar to carbonate. Will it be ok if I didn't add the Campden and how can I reduce the sourness- I have some Splenda, tannin and some 'chalk' but haven't used them yet? I hope I haven't ruined it by not adding Campden- there's 20L and it took ages to press the apples!!!!!

CT's are added to apple juice before fermentation to subdue some of the wild yeasts and bacteria present in the juice, reducing the likelihood of the cider spoiling, i guess the only thing you can do is let it finish and see how it tastes then.

Lots of cider makers don't add Camden's and either just use wild yeast or add yeast to the wild yeast already present. I made cider last year and didnt add a Camden. It was fine.
You might want to leave it longer and see if you develop something called malolactic fermentation (look it up)

Hi again. It seems to be fine. It had been at 1.000 for 3 days so i siphoned it off last night and think i will bottle it today after giving it a few more hours to settle. It's a great colour, very dry but nowhere near as sour. Smells just like cider too. I will add sugar to carbonate. Think it will be fine. Thanks guys.

Back