Artificial sweetners in wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
Complete novice when it comes to wine. Made a load of cider end of last summer and had loads of juice so decided to experiment. Boiled juice down to half its volume....SG 1.1, and then fermented with wine yeast. Left it in FV for ages.....fermentation stopped and now nice and clear.

Thinking of trying to make sparkling wine. Looked at YouTube videos of traditional champagne method. Think that may take a lot of practice.

Problem is it's very dry. I was thinking about 2 possibilities. First one.....add an artificial sweetener that cant be fermented, then bottle with standard priming sugar. Hopfully secondary fermentation will give it fizz, non fermentable sugar should give sweetness. Anyone tried this?? Which sweetners best???

Second idea is a bit more esoteric....stabilise wine with sorbate / campden tablets, bottle it and add a measured amount of dry ice to each bottle and cap them!

Any thoughts.......cheers

I use Erythritol to sweeten my cider. This stuff tastes just like sugar, and doesn’t give you the green apple splatters like some artificial sweeteners.

9C353B8C-F735-4311-8796-8FD0860D2F7D.png

Latest posts

Back