Victoria plum wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3wBaker

Reaction score
I have started my plum wine. First ever attempt, and have a few questions. I have made 23 litres and started in a fermenting bucket with pectolase. Then added yeast nutrient and yeast and left for a few more days. I then added 5kg of sugar to a large plastic DJ and sieved & pressed the winey water from the pulp and it is now bubbling away in the large plastic DJ. questions:
1) how long do I let it ferment for before bottling?
2) I am looking for a light fizz with this wine. Do you add a small amount of sugar when bottling as with ciders to get this? If not what is the best approach?
3) how many times do you filter it before bottling.
4) I have wine finings. What stage do I add these?
Thanks
Paul

1] Until it stops bubbling.

2] Yes.

3] I never filter wine i use KwiK Clear.

4] You add them when you rack and degas, as you intend to filter i assume you will not use them.

Thanks all.
So if not filtering, what is the best method for clearing prior to bottling?
Will the wine be naturally fizzy post fermentation and what is the recommended process for de-gassing prior to bottling?
Finally can I put wine into PET bottles or does it need to be in glass for best results?
Just conscious that if creating a fizz that normal bottles could explode. Any further help appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

It will clear naturally over time or you can add various stabilisers and finings to speed up the process (such as KwiK Clear). To degass you can just shake the fermenter vigorously 3-4 times a day for a few mins at least thats the simplest way. If you are keeping the wine in bottles for more than a few months you want glass (and you want to age this sort of wine for at least 6 months preferably a year I read).

You need to rack off, not sure if that is what you mean when you say filter, racking off just means syphon the wine off the dead yeast at the bottom of the DJ into a clean sterilised DJ, without disturbing the sediment. Do that when the sediment is quite deep usually a month, then again every few weeks or up to 3 months depending on how much sediment there is. Usually after the first 2 you can leave it a good 3 months until its cleared and nearly ready for bottling. The last one is where you would degass the wine prior to bottling. My wines from last Autumn are still in DJ's and are now matured and ready for bottling, and have not been racked off since April. Make sure you use the strong bottles for fizzy wine as well.

Latest posts

Back