How long to dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm currently dry hopping an IPA style beer with a decent amount of hops (30g). I was going to leave the brew dry hopping for 7 days before kegging, but now 2 days in I'm wondering whether 3, 4 or maybe 5 days would be enough.
What's the general consensus? How long do you all dry hop? :-?

I usually dry hop upto 5 days with very successful results on all types of kits.

How long is a piece of string?

I wait until fermentation has finished and do it late for 2/3 days, but I'm a total hop head and I just love the aroma!!!

Some varieties of hops go 'grassy' after more than 5 days - I don't dig that, but some do!

What's your bag beer wise?

Try and copy it!!!

How long is a piece of string?

I wait until fermentation has finished and do it late for 2/3 days, but I'm a total hop head and I just love the aroma!!!

Some varieties of hops go 'grassy' after more than 5 days - I don't dig that, but some do!

What's your bag beer wise?

Try and copy it!!!

What's your fav Bulldog kit Hopping Mad?
Have you tried the Festival range ?
And finally,leaf or pellets ? I started with leaf but found them expensive and less effective than pellets.
Cheers mate

Done the Four Finger Jack (not as good as the Youngs Craft APA IMHO), the Raja's Reward (liked that a lot - don't like the stronger IPAs!), and even did their premium Cider (don't like cider personally but bloody hell it was popular over summer!!!).

Festival - done Golden Stag (possibly my fave kit ?), and I think the Landlords Finest is going to pretty good, but only had a 'control' bottle so far!!!

Youngs Craft American Amber Ale arrived yesterday (note to self - must update forum signature!) so looking forward to that!

I reckon that the Festival and Youngs Craft kits are just that little bit ahead of Bulldog, but not by much. Bulldog are just that little bit cheaper generally, if cost us factored in.

Only used pellets and tea bags thus far. Just ordered my first vacuum packed hops from the Malt Miller as need to dry hop my 'less than 35p per bottle' spectacular based on a Simply Pale Ale 1.7kg kit which was on offer - who knows what that will end up like?:hmm: I'll at least make sure it's hoppy with done extra Centenniel and Cascade!!!

My one slight disappointment hone brewing was trying to late hop a Coopers Dark Ale with those crappy Hambleton Bard tea bags. Used a Goldings one and it was not what I was after - went a little grassy after 4 days at the **** end of fermentation. Still ok to drink, but got better with leaving. Had half a bottle of that tonight and stuck the rest in my apple & fig chutney (...now that does taste good!!!!! )

Done the Four Finger Jack (not as good as the Youngs Craft APA IMHO), the Raja's Reward (liked that a lot - don't like the stronger IPAs!), and even did their premium Cider (don't like cider personally but bloody hell it was popular over summer!!!).

Festival - done Golden Stag (possibly my fave kit ?), and I think the Landlords Finest is going to pretty good, but only had a 'control' bottle so far!!!

Youngs Craft American Amber Ale arrived yesterday (note to self - must update forum signature!) so looking forward to that!

I reckon that the Festival and Youngs Craft kits are just that little bit ahead of Bulldog, but not by much. Bulldog are just that little bit cheaper generally, if cost us factored in.

Only used pellets and tea bags thus far. Just ordered my first vacuum packed hops from the Malt Miller as need to dry hop my 'less than 35p per bottle' spectacular based on a Simply Pale Ale 1.7kg kit which was on offer - who knows what that will end up like?:hmm: I'll at least make sure it's hoppy with done extra Centenniel and Cascade!!!
If your Amber Ale turns out like mine,all debates are over,it's the best kit and that's that:rofl:
Golden stag also very good and their limited edition (Elderflower Ale) was top drawer too.
All in all mate,what a hobby we have !!!!!
It's all good
Cheers

Thanks.
The dry hops are 50/50 Pioneer and WVG, and although I'm hoping for the big hop hit I don't want to risk any grassy/vegetal flavour so think I'll keg tomorrow at 4 days.

Latest posts

Back