Wine not Clearing - Advice Please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padster

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice. I started 4 different flavoured WOWs off on 10th June.

Racked them all off within a few days of each other, towards the end of July.

Added Finings to all four on 31st July. Then they all went at very different speeds.

Orange and Pineapple was clear by 7th August and I bottled on 16th August.
Pomegranate eventually cleared and I bottled on 14th September.

Both taste great, particularly the Pomegranate.

The other two, Apple and Blackcurrent and Apple and Raspberry are still not clear. I racked off again, two weeks ago, but I can't understand why they haven't cleared. I've not made Apple and Blackcurrent before, but have made several Apple and Raspberry and they were clear and bottled within 6 weeks. It's now been 16 weeks and still not clear. I've added two lots of finings and racked twice onto Campden tabs.

Have I done something wrong? Is it because it's been so warm (I don't have anywhere cool I can keep them so they've just been in the least warm part of the house).

Do I just need to be patient?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes and yes.

I followed the standard WOW recipe to the letter. I still consider myself a beginner so do everything by the book at the moment!

I guess I'm confused because 2 DJs turned out great (although a bit slower than I'm used to) and I did the same process with all 4.

I had another look this morning and I think they are slightly clearer than they were (or maybe I'm just being hopeful!)

I found orange based wow takes longer to clear than the apple based version , it will clear eventually.

Latest posts

Back