Storing dried yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinopolis

Reaction score
Hello!
I've bought a big bag (500g) of dried Nottingham ale yeast to save monies. My question is, do I need to store the yeast in a sanitised container once the bag is opened? Or can I just tip it into a clean tupperware box?
Also - when I measure the yeast out, do spoon and receptacle need to be sanitised?

I'm a bit confused!

Not sure about the storage. I imagine you'll want to store in something where you can squeeze all the air out, and prevent further air from getting in.

But as for the spoon and receptacle, the best practice is to sanitize everything that will come into contact with your cooled wort. You don't want to pick up any nasties along with your yeast

I would be interested in hearing if there is a way of prolonging its life. I had a big 500g foil pack of S04. I just kept mine in the foil pack but used a clip to fold the foil down and pinch it closed, like a bag of coffee, so virtually no air got in. But it's at least a year out of date now and it is a pig to get a starter going with - no doubt it shouldn't even be used for brewing, God knows what off flavours it would impart. I am wondering if I should've frozen it, whether that would've squeezed a few more months of life out of it, shame to waste it.

Freezing will extend life longer that refrigerating, assuming no air gets in.

I suppose you can increase the amount your pitching into your starter to compensate for all the dead yeast..

Freezing will extend life longer that refrigerating, assuming no air gets in.

I suppose you can increase the amount your pitching into your starter to compensate for all the dead yeast..

Do you think stale yeast will actually perform badly, give dodgy flavours etc? Or is it just that it is slow to become active (the latter it certainly is, I have tried, just not sure if it would potentially spoil the batch).

Latest posts

Back