New GEB Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GEB have a new range of dried yeast produced by AEB in Italy and marketed excusively here by GEB. I was particularly interested in the 500g packs, as in the past I have bought Nottingham in 500g packs and broken it down into small vacuum sealed bags to store in the fridge. I was getting low on Nottingham and found that the price had shot up since my last batch. I decided to try one of the new GEB 500g packs: the one I chose "Big and Bold" is an English Ale Yeast, originally from Whitbread's brewery. GEB's price of just under £38 for 500g means that I could produce 48 12g packs at 79 pence each - a huge saving.

The yeast itself is excellent: it starts quickly and ferments very quickly before dropping like a stone. Flavours seem very neutral (I pressure ferment, so that might make a small difference). GEB also have Sierra Nevada yeast at the same price: compare 79 pence for a sachet with the normal price of US-05 to see what a bargain this is.

To package the yeast the way I do requires a vacuum sealer and a supply of small vacuum sealer bags, but still represents a big saving, and I don't have to worry about the cost of using fresh yeast for every brew.

Which vacuum sealer and bags do you recommend?

It is in my list of things to buy, but so far many other things have trumped it!

Back