Irish Moss - responsible for bad flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I've just bottled up my batch of Banks and Shefford Pale Ale.

I'm a little disappointed as although I guess it's still early days with bottle conditioning still to come etc etc which will improve it's drinkability, on tasting there is an underlying 'musty' taste.

Hard to describe - it's not TCP, its not off. But it is a flavour that I have had in the past, and by chance when brewing bitters with Fuggles and Goldings, but I think this isn't a hop - this is a slightly off flavour created by something going on with the brew/recipe.

I was wondering whether perhaps it's Irish Moss.

I used a perhaps a rather large tablespoon, rehydrated with maybe 100ml of warm water, added to the boil 15mins to go at the same time as the chiller.

Is that too much? Is it possible that this is where this distinctive flavour is coming from?

Incidentally, I'm drinking an excellent Citra that I made, which was a total cock up as I miscalculated my stocks and didnt have anywhere near enough malt, so made the grist up with wheat malt, leading to a cloudy but absolutely delicious brew - isn't that always the way!

Hmmm - I sort of thought as much.. although as you say, hard to say if that's the source of the flavour. What I do now know is I need to throttle back on Irish Moss. Whether that was the issue this time round, who knows?

The annoying thing is that this was "The Perfect Brew" - aside from my normal problem of not being able to boil the full volume so as always, collecting short, the whole process went perfectly.

If anyone else has experienced this I'd be interested - its possibly even more exacerbated by the fact that that was a healthy tablespoon in a short brew - probably only 19/20 litres.

Anyway, nothing to be done now and it isn't undrinkable... but then, they rarely are!:hat:

Back