HELP - Turbo Cider Too Sour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBob

Reaction score
I don't like recipes or instructions so have predictably messed up.

I have 5 gallons of Asda apple juice concentrate (mostly) with an additional juice of 9 lemons, 5 tea bags worth of very strong tea, Youngs Cider Yeast and a healthy dose of yeast nutrient.

I calculate (roughly) that when dry/fermented out it should be circa 6% ABV.

It fermented almost right out in about 5 days. No frothing - very steady away. Looked fab.

But it's really really tart. No sweetness detectable at all.

I wonder if the citric acid / lemon juice used as a preservative in the apple juice was enough and my 9 lemon addition has made the whole thing too acidic.

I've now added more sugar (by drawing off 2 litres, adding sugar, boiling up, and returning to the brew). It's happily re-started fermenting well.

On tasting I can taste both the new sugar and the old tartness. I'm near certain that this new sugar will also ferment out and leave me with a somewhat stronger, but still rather tart, 5 gallons.

I like a pint I can gulp, not a small glass I can sip. But this is going to be too tart (and too strong if I add more sugar) for gulping.

What can I do to reduce the tartness?

Water it down?

Thank you!

You could add some potassium sorbate which will kill the yeast when it's fermented down to a sweetness you like, or add it after it's finished fermenting & then add sugar to taste.
First cider I made from windfalls last year was so sour it was unbelievable. More unbelievable is that I actually drunk the whole 4 gallons, sometimes as it was and sometimes after adding sugar and sodium bicarbonate:lol:

Ta for replies. Didn't know about potassium option.

Good on you for getting down yours! Did it give you a dodgy tummy being so sour?

I like it to continue fermenting a little in the barrel so it's (I think) less likely to go off and also gets a little carbonated.

I've yet to find a sweetner I don't dislike the taste of so not keen on that really.

Also, even when sweetened it tastes like sweet and sour rather than a balanced average, it's that powerful.

There's nothing I can add other than sugar to tone it down a bit?

TY!

Ta for replies. Didn't know about potassium option.

Good on you for getting down yours! Did it give you a dodgy tummy being so sour?

TY!

No, but it might have dissolved much of the enamel off my teeth! To be honest, at around 6% ABV I usually stuck to a pint at a time. Sometimes it didn't taste too bad to me, but other times i used sugar & bicarb to take the edge off. I think if I'd bicarbed the whole batch and then let it mature for a month or two it might have been ok. There's something else other than bicarb that you can use for the same purpose but I can't remember what it is. :wha:

Ah the bicarb was to take the edge off of the tartness! I misunderstood. I'll give it a try, thank you.

Latest posts

Back