• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1 litre beer bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drayman151

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 litre beer bottles. Glass. In the
North Manchester area. :cheers:

I bought a few of these but have never used them in anger. I lent one to a relative who used it for his homemade elderflower cordial. Unfortunately it apparently exploded in the fridge, which makes me even less sure about using them!

I bought a few of these but have never used them in anger. I lent one to a relative who used it for his homemade elderflower cordial. Unfortunately it apparently exploded in the fridge, which makes me even less sure about using them!

Really!!

Makes me nervous about using them too!

The lady in my local homebrew shop, had some of this style (not from ikea) explode in her kitchen.

which is weird... because those bottles are swing top i assume.My experiences with the Ikea bottles is that they close that bady that they even don't build up pressure.
Then, swing top bottles are actually build with there own pressure relief system, the rubber bit around the swing top. The excess of pressure will get out.
So maybe those bottles had a crack in them somewhere?

I once tried to make a Grolsch bottle explode and i simply couldn't manage.
Nice beerfountain with opening though ;)

I just bought a load of the ikea 1L swing tops and had some skepticism. So i tested one with an AG IPA i was conditioning with a target of 2.2 volumes of CO2.

So far no cracks or explosions and this is about 3 or 4 weeks since bottling and there's a good bit of sediment at the bottem. So seems they hold their own at small volumes of CO2. For a lager or german wheatbeer I couldn't say if they would explode or not, guess that's another test for another day.

Note I did condition it in quite low temperatures with the swing top just outside in a garden storage container.

What volume of CO2 would a swingtop hold before releasing pressure would be an interesting question, as i never heard before they do that?

I just bought a load of the ikea 1L swing tops and had some skepticism. So i tested one with an AG IPA i was conditioning with a target of 2.2 volumes of CO2.

So far no cracks or explosions and this is about 3 or 4 weeks since bottling and there's a good bit of sediment at the bottem. So seems they hold their own at small volumes of CO2. For a lager or german wheatbeer I couldn't say if they would explode or not, guess that's another test for another day.

Note I did condition it in quite low temperatures with the swing top just outside in a garden storage container.

What volume of CO2 would a swingtop hold before releasing pressure would be an interesting question, as i never heard before they do that?

I have no idea about volumes of CO2 so I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't be conditioning in the ikea bottles? Cider? Stout? Beer? Ale? With the potential problems. But not a lager like you mentioned.

Crystalball:

Here is a good link to a calculator and table guide to how "fizzy" types of beer are http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Basically ive found ale is fine at 2.2 CO2 vols in the ilea bottles but cider and larger would be fizzier so have more vols like the table says so moght not be, testing required.

I don't really know, but my idears is,
1: wine yeast = more alcoho-pops , as in elderflower, and also put in the bottle to early, may be filling to much.
2: bottles not really designed for that pressure.

So if your careful and just do sec ferm, in them you should be fine, but if you want some thicker bottles marks and exspnsive do a fizzy raspberry soda 1lt clear bottle at the mo and a few other flavours £2.50 a pop but you get a good bottle IMHO .

Latest posts

Back