whats the best way to fill a pet bottle using a plastic carbonation cap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just purchased a plastic carbonation cap and would like to know the best, easiest and simplest method of fill plastic pet bottles with beer from my corny kegs.
I have also purchased some 5/16th tubing which I have cut to size to reach the bottom of the bottles. I have read a few ways of doing it but they honestly seem strangely over complicated so i was wondering if anyone on here has tried and trusted ways of doing it.?

You will need a jumper beer line - a beer line with a black disconnect on each end.

1. Put carb cap on bottle.
2. Take gas disconnect off corny keg.
3. Put gas disconnect on carb cap to pressurise bottle to the same pressure as keg.
4. Put gas disconnect back on keg.
5. Attach jumper line between keg and carb cap.
6. Loosen carb cap until beer starts to flow slowly.
7. Fill slowly, if you get foam then you're going too fast.
8. When foam is coming out the top then close up the carb cap on the bottle and disconnect the jumper line.

Done!

If you want to you can remove the carb cap and replace with the bottle lid, but if I'm just using this for take away beer I don't bother.

You can also add a dip tube to the carb cap (beer line on the stem of the carb cap) to make filling gentler, but I've rarely seen a benefit.

My method.

Make a jumper from 2 disconnects and a length of beer line.

Sanitise bottle and add carb cap. Purge bottle to release the sanitiser. Pressurise bottle to just below the pressure of the keg.

Add one end of the jumper to the bottle and the other to the keg. Gently unscrew the carb cap to offgas, and bottle will start to fill.

Once full screw carb cap back on and place in fridge. Once cold, unscrew carb cap, squeeze bottle, and add bottle lid (so you are capping on foam). Screw lid up real tight (there's usually an extra quarter turn than you need).

Hope that makes sense. Here's a pic of the jumper in action:

1000064664.jpg

i do this regularly . its easy. works well and is foolproof.
heres a very good video :

and heres dr hans:

hey if a doctor does it its got to work right .

Back