have I pitched the yeast too hot?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Hi all, had just topped up with water when all three kids woke up to contractors coming to replace the rear door. In my rush I pitched the yeast on top, then noticed the thermometer was at about 26ºC. I didn't stir it in, and with the rear door off its in a cool breeze. I plan on moving it to my cupboard once it's at 19-20ºC.
Do you reckon I'll get away with it?!
Cheers all...

You could get some off fruity flavours from pitching at that temp. If it fermented vigorously at first there will be funky flavours in the finished beer

Its been three hours, and is down to about 24-5ºC. Only just showing signs of fermentation now, slightly yeasty looking bubbles. Hopefully it will cool soon. Time will tell I guess, fingers and toes crossed...

My understanding is that the main thing the yeast will do initially is multiply, with conversion of sugar to alcohol and by-products starting quite slowly.

As the temp is coming down fairly soon, you should be fine with a bit of luck.

Its been three hours, and is down to about 24-5ºC. Only just showing signs of fermentation now, slightly yeasty looking bubbles. Hopefully it will cool soon. Time will tell I guess, fingers and toes crossed...

If you can get youself down to B&Q anytime soon get a builders trug put I'ce and water in there and put the FV in it. If not, wrap some wet towels around the FV and put a fan on it and keep wetting the towels when they dry out

The first 24-48 hours is the crucial time that the yeast can produce off flavours or fusil alcohols

Following advice and also placing outside, got the temp down to 21ºc within 4 hours. Thank you!
Been sitting at that temp since and is now bubbling away once every couple of minutes. Not bad for around 12 hours from starting. I have it in my bedroom cupboard as my usual one in the kitchen is a bit warm with the heating on - a nice soothing bedtime bubbling ;) I think I have got away with it, smells good too...

24hrs since the yeast went in, now sitting at 20ºC (the ambient temp in) and bubbling every ten seconds. I'm feeling good about this one now ;)

By the 13th this had slowed to a bubble minute, haven't seen or heard one since then. Will take a gravity reading later and another in a day or two to be sure before kegging. I have finings for this as I'm brewing it as a gift for my dad and want it to be clear as bell. I have a good feeling about this one, is smells fantastic!

Well today is the 19th and I've just got round to taking a reading -
I'm on day 9 in the fv, with a start gravity of 1040 I'm now only down to 1016. Will take another reading in a day or two, but could this be it?! All activity looks to have stopped...

Well today is the 19th and I've just got round to taking a reading -
I'm on day 9 in the fv, with a start gravity of 1040 I'm now only down to 1016. Will take another reading in a day or two, but could this be it?! All activity looks to have stopped...

Your current gravity looks high I'd expect the FG to be about 1.010

1010 is what I'm hoping for to get near the abv on the box. Wait and see I suppose...

Seems the temp in my cupboard had dropped to 16ºc, so into the warm airing cupboard it goes to warm back up.
Woops...

Well, after a stir a few days ago I'm still at 1016 from an og of 1040. After emailing Woodfordes who passed on to Muntons as they make the kit, I'm told if it's stable at 1016 go ahead and keg it - the secondary fermentation will get it to the stated ABV.
Surely I'm at about 3.2%, plus 0.3ish% from priming. Quite shy of the box's 4.5%
Hmmm...

My understanding is that the main thing the yeast will do initially is multiply, with conversion of sugar to alcohol and by-products starting quite slowly.

As the temp is coming down fairly soon, you should be fine with a bit of luck.

r oh dear oh dear.....no it wont...as a moderator (sp). Why are you posting statements that re just basically wrong.
Well that's me banned for telling the truth then

r oh dear oh dear.....no it wont...as a moderator (sp). Why are you posting statements that re just basically wrong.
Well that's me banned for telling the truth then

You seem to be having a bash the moderators night, you had a pop at me in another thread about someone giving bad advice, i now realise you meant this by Slid, why do you say "as a moderator (sp). Why are you posting statements that re just basically wrong" are you anti moderator or do you think moderators should be perfect and never make a mistake?

Hi guys you got me curious so I went looking and found this. There is a link to the the complete item which was too big to post here
Ale fermentation of brewers wort follows three phases: lag phase for 3-15 hours, exponential growth
phase for 1-4 days, and stationary phase of yeast growth for 3-10 days. Each of these phases will be
described in terms of yeast behavior. The lag phase can be carried out at a higher temperature than the rest of fermentation because very little flavor compounds are produced. Ethanol production is also very limited, therefore ester formation is not a concern. Some brewers begin the lag phase for ales at 72-75F, and complete the fermentation at 68F. This can be done with success for lagers too, with starting the lag phase at 72-75F and lowering the fermentation temperature to 50-55F.http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Back