Tips required for renewing rubber seals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8252

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone any tips on methods for changing the seals in the barrel caps.

I find that once I have given them a thin coat of Vaseline, when I tighten the cap the seal moves and comes out of it's guide and no longer stays in place or indeed seal the barrel.

Has anyone tried any adhesive to keep the seal in its place n the cap?

Getting quite frustrated now as the seals aren't cheap and once they have dislodged once they stretch and malform rendering them pretty useless.

Cheers

Simon

Hi, could be your just over tightening them (it's easy to do) they only need to be just about tight (which I realise isn't really an exact torque setting)! There's no need to strangle them. As you screw them down you will feel the seal start to bind on the rim this is when to stop (this takes a bit of practice) If you glue them, then they won't move in the guide and will tear or split instead. (Im famous for over tightening things btw)! Hope this helps

Pop the seal in boiling water from the kettle after removing it from the barrel to get its shape back again when you clean the barrel after use. What I do then is sterilise on the day as per usual then pop the lid and seal in the freezer. Makes it easier for me to get the seal to stay as I vaseline it and screw it down. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back