Planting Apple Trees

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenMonkey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've decided to get in to brewing beer and cider. I have enough room in my garden to plant around 6 good size apple trees (I realise it may take a couple of years to get a decent batch).

My question is, what blend of apple trees would you grow? I'd prefer not to get just cider apple trees as these aren't edible. Instead I'd prefer 4-5 different varieties of dessert apple trees and a crab apple tree. What would you guys suggest? Suggestions for the variety of crab apple tree too please!

Thanks,

Steve

There are some dual purpose cider/edible apple tree varieties. Can't remember the names off hand though.
We planted 7 cider apple trees (at least one was of the dual purpose type), 2 cooking apples, a plum and a greengage, about 2 years ago and this year we got 1 plum! Not expecting any apples for a couple of years yet as we got M25 rootstock which gives you huge trees. Rootstock that gives you smaller trees (more suitable for a garden) tend to produce fruit earlier. Make sure you get the right type for the space you have available.
We got ours from a place called `Adams Apples'. They were very cheap and all but one are doing very well. They carry a huge variety of apple varieties.

Whatever you plant, ensure they're well staked for at least 3 years, and well rooted!

Also, for at least the first couple of years, remove fruit as it appears, don't let it grow. This will encourage the trees to grow better, and produce more fruit in years three and four.

Latest posts

Back