Hop growing in northwest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**UPDATE**

So I planted these hops about a month ago now at the allotment and they’re already 2ft high. I’ll be honest I wasn’t expecting them to do anything this year in terms of growth. What am I meant to do with the hops at this stage- do I just let them run their course and they will die back when we actually do get autumn/winter? Or do I need to cut them back? If so, when?
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9163.png
    IMG_9163.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 0
What am I meant to do with the hops at this stage- do I just let them run their course and they will die back when we actually do get autumn/winter?
Think like a hop - what does it need to do?

This year it's all about getting as much nutrients as possible into the roots over winter. So let them grow as much as they can, and then die back and return all their nutrients back to the rhizome. Once it's died back in late October or so (depending on the weather/frosts), you can remove the dried remains above ground so that they don't act as a reservoir for disease, then you're good til spring.

Think like a hop - what does it need to do?

This year it's all about getting as much nutrients as possible into the roots over winter. So let them grow as much as they can, and then die back and return all their nutrients back to the rhizome. Once it's died back in late October or so (depending on the weather/frosts), you can remove the dried remains above ground so that they don't act as a reservoir for disease, then you're good til spring.
Awesome, thanks very much for that 👍🏼

Awesome, thanks very much for that 👍🏼
Hi there @Monkhouse ,
I bought my Prima Donna rhizomes (3) from Essentially Hops this time last year and got much the same advice as you have on here, which seems to have worked. They grew a couple of bines in the Autumn too, then died back. Did yours come wrapped up in moist moss like mine?
The first full year I was told to control (ie prune off) the shoots back to only one or two to encourage root growth rather than hop production.
I still harvested enough from them for a green hopped pale ale or two.
They are beautiful and aromatic.
Very much looking forward to next year and let them do their own thing.
👍

Back