Thick white residue at bottom of Fermenter. Mould/Poorly mixed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed_Trently

Brew Cat
Reaction score
I've siphoned my ale out of my FV and I've discovered some residue at the bottom. It's rather quick and lumpy. The ale didn't taste bad when I drank it over the fermenting period. I didn't stir the brew during the fermenting period since the instructions didn't tell me to.

I've posted some pictures. What should I do?

Thanks,
Paul

DSC_0043[1].jpg

DSC_0044[1].jpg

DSC_0046[1].jpg

Looks like dead yeast that has dropped out of the brew. Don't worry about it- just wash the fermenter!

Oh thank god. I thought it could have been mould.

I think I syphoned a little bit into my keg whooops. Shall I leave it or?

Do I need to carbonate my ale? I've got some CO2 bulbs and a pierced keg stopper?

The brew tastes a little weak, Is there a way to judge it's ABV?

Thanks

Don't worry about a few drops in the keg. They should drop out into the bottom of the keg before you will be drinking it. You should have used some priming sugar in the keg, assuming the beer has fermented out properly. No need to carbonate then because the priming sugar will build up pressure in the sealed keg. You must have a hydrometer to check the gravity before fermentation and again after it has finished. A 20 degrees C Hydrometer is best. The difference in the readings gives you the a.b.v. Broadly, a difference of 31 (e.g. 1040-1009) gives an a.b.v. of 4.0%. Buy one and then check the gravity of the fermented beer at 20 degrees. It should be no more than 1012 unless it's supposed to be a strong ale. If its over 1012 it will taste sweet and may not be very alcoholic. Good Luck!

Unfortunately I didn't take a reading at the start of fermentation so I can't judge the abv. It settled at 1010 on the hydrometer.

Can I put some priming sugar in tomorrow, a day after the transfer from fermenter.
I think I saw Wilco selling it?

Cheers Bud

The relatively small quantity of sugar needed to prime means that you can use pretty much any kind. Bog standard granulated is fine. You'll need roughly 80-90g for a keg of ale, more for lager. As long as there is some live yeast left in your brew it's not too late to add. It will increase your ABV by about 0.5%.

Back