Brewmaker Victorian bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy90

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm making this to be drunk in July 2015 at a summer party so plenty of time to mature.
I couldn't find a kit I fancied doing, I wanted a beer of around 6-6.5% & a lot of them add sugar to plump up the volume. I didn't want this so will be tinkering with this kit with the addition of 1.5kg of coopers amber malt extract.:clap:
The label on the can says 'high gravity' but in the instructions it says 4.8%!!! Lightweights!!:drunk: The can is 1.8kg of malt extract & I would need to add 1kg of sugar to get % so hopefully the 3.3kg of malt I have will give around the desired % :pray: I will check the mix with a hydrometer.....
I've also got some freeze dried hops I'd like to add. Anyone know when & how to add them?

Your 3.3kg plus 1kg sugar brewed out to 25L will get you to the ABV's quoted.

Adding hops is fine, but if you are after a fashionable, hoppy smelling and tasting beer, it is unlikely to be happening after 7-8 months time, as the aroma fades very quickly.

Could you let us know more about what sort of result you are after, please ?

I'm making this to be drunk in July 2015 at a summer party so plenty of time to mature.
I couldn't find a kit I fancied doing, I wanted a beer of around 6-6.5% & a lot of them add sugar to plump up the volume. I didn't want this so will be tinkering with this kit with the addition of 1.5kg of coopers amber malt extract.:clap:
The label on the can says 'high gravity' but in the instructions it says 4.8%!!! Lightweights!!:drunk: The can is 1.8kg of malt extract & I would need to add 1kg of sugar to get % so hopefully the 3.3kg of malt I have will give around the desired % :pray: I will check the mix with a hydrometer.....
I've also got some freeze dried hops I'd like to add. Anyone know when & how to add them?

What yeast are you going to use? I worry that with all that malt your pack yeast may not be able to cope on its own!

Your 3.3kg plus 1kg sugar brewed out to 25L will get you to the ABV's quoted.

That sounds like an awful lot of sugar! The reason I bought the 1.5kg of malt extract was so I didn't have to add sugar which adds nothing to the flavour.
A golden stag kit I left for 6+ months had plenty of citrus hoppiness left so would hope for the same. The result I'm after is a strong hoppy ale!
Looking at some kits,, 3kg kits come in around 4.3% ish per 23l, 4kg kits around 6+% so it would seem I have to brew short???
I'm only planning on using the yeast suplied with the Victorian bitter kit.

That sounds like an awful lot of sugar! The reason I bought the 1.5kg of malt extract was so I didn't have to add sugar which adds nothing to the flavour.
A golden stag kit I left for 6+ months had plenty of citrus hoppiness left so would hope for the same. The result I'm after is a strong hoppy ale!
Looking at some kits,, 3kg kits come in around 4.3% ish per 23l, 4kg kits around 6+% so it would seem I have to brew short???
I'm only planning on using the yeast suplied with the Victorian bitter kit.

I have brewed this kit before and done it with 1KG of beer enhancer and 500G of brewing sugar which gave me a SG 1054 and finished at 1010 (5.8%) I now usually use liquid malt and the lhbs told me 1.5KG is about the same as 1KG of spray malt.

Latest posts

Back