Mangrove Jacks Hazy IPA review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Kit started 30th December 2023. Added Mangrove Jacks 1.5kg Pure Liquid Light Malt Extract.
Added Pure Brew and made up to 18L with Tesco Ashbeck mineral water.
Fermented in brew fridge at 20.5°C.
Kit hops added on 12th January 2024.
Bottled on 14th January with one sugar stick per bottle and put back into brew fridge at 20.5°C.
Moved out to shed on 28th January.
First pint - Friday 1st March.

A Hazy IPA would always be right up my street, so when I saw this new kit from Mangrove Jacks, I knew I had to try it. Their Mango Pale Ale, Pink Grapefruit IPA and Juicy Session IPA are right up there with the best kits I've ever brewed. This kit makes 31 pints and if you add 1.5kg of liquid malt extract, comes out at around 6.8%, so not a session ale! It certainly looked the part - poured really well, beautiful golden colour with a good haze. In truth, the first taste was a slight disappointment. There was a hint of twang, though nowhere near enough to put me off drinking it, and the beer didn't quite have the body I was hoping for. It got better as I drank it (like most beers do!), but when compared with Muntons Flagship Hazy IPA, this is lacking a bit. I'll certainly enjoy drinking it - it has a nice, fruity hop character with a subtle bitter finish. It will be interesting to see how it matures in the bottle, but at the moment it's going into the 'Probably wouldn't brew it again' category.

Attachments

• HazyIPA.png
    HazyIPA.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 6
I've got a Muntons flagship hazy IPA kit waiting to be brewed. Going to brew it with the daughter's BF, he's already helped me with an AG which blew his mind a bit I think, so I wanted to do a kit so he can compare.

I've got a Muntons flagship hazy IPA kit waiting to be brewed. Going to brew it with the daughter's BF, he's already helped me with an AG which blew his mind a bit I think, so I wanted to do a kit so he can compare.

Let us know how it turns out. It's a really good kit 👍

Back