Secondary fermentation in oak cask - airlock required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimba

Reaction score
Hi, I have 600 litres of cider which was racked for the first time yesterday, 200 litres of which was racked into 2 x 100 litre oak barrels. Before racking, the cider was still fermenting at a rate of one bubble (through the airlock) per two minutes. This was due to cool weather here and the recent addition of a heater to the brewing room about a week ago.

Both barrels have been stopped with a cork bung with no airlock.

Can anyone tell me if this is safe? Will the CO2 be able to escape through the barrel without an airlock at this rate? Likely to be pretty vigorous at first due to the air mixed in while racking.

Also any thoughts on the taste - will the oak taste be way too strong if I leave it maturing until say, April?

Wood and cork are both porous and at that slow rate of fermentation, the gas will find its way out. The wood flavour imparted depends on the age of the barrel and the area of surface contact, the smaller the barrel, the greater that is. I suggest that you could be looking at some great cider if you just leave it be!

Thanks. After posting on here, before your reply I also asked on another forum and got a contradictory answer. That reply suggests that fermentation will halt under the pressure and that I should put an airlock on the barrels bung.

What do you think? Is there some kind of calculation anyone knows of to determine whether the barrel would be able to expel the gas from fermentation before the pressure halts it, or am I over complicating. Is there a chance of the barrel leaking or breaking under the pressure?

Ill measure gravity in a week or so to see if it has decreased.

Latest posts

Back