Cider Stuck

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderman62

Reaction score
I am having an issue with two batches of cider one in a fermentation bucket the other in a barre with a tap

THE BUCKET

A 50/50 mix of eating & cooking apples 23 litres in total

About 36 hours after pitching the yeast including nutrient bubbles were coming through the bubbler but only lasted 2 days then nothing

I have taken readings every 2 days It started at 1.054 and it is stuck at 1.01 I would have expected it to drop to 1.000 - 1.004 which my other batches have

Previously tried adding a little extra yeast & nutrient with no effect

I then tried adding a little extra brewers sugar to feed the yeast & get it going, as soon as I tipped it in it started to fizz and bubble the same reaction you get if you put sugar into a fizzy drink.

Gave it a good stir & put the lid back on with vaseline around the seal and even sealed with gaffer tape but still no signs of bubble in the bubbler

BARREL
A combination of three different eating apples & c 20% cookers

Fermentation started within 24 hours and continued for a week after which I drew it off to get rid of the lees before returning it to the barrel & adding a mix of different berries which had been juiced along with some shop bought mix berry fruit juice.
Within 24 hours intensity of bubbles coming through bubbler had increased indicating added juice was being fermented.

Once this died back I sampled the brew & as it did not have enough blackcurrant taste I again drew it off to remove the pulped berries returned the cider to the barrel and added a bottle of ribena & took a new SG reading since then there has been no sign of any activity

That was 5 days ago and the SG has not changed despite the added sugar from the ribena
As with the bucket I then tried adding a little extra brewers sugar to feed the yeast & get it going, & had the same result.

I have also drawn off a small sample from each, they are cloudy & smell & taste like they are fermenting but the readings are simply not moving and there is no activity in the bubblers.

I have 46 litres that I am desperate to save as they are undrinkable at the moment any advise greatly received as this is my first year brewing and very new to it all

just seen this - where are your vessels stored ? I think Dec 8 was that cold snap, and i can imagine this would stall a fermentation. Key thing is not to keep exposing the liquid to the air, as you run the risk of oxidisation. I would keep it as sealed and sterile as you can, and try moving it somewhere warmer - about 10-12 degrees should be enough - it doesnt need an airing cupboard or anything like that

Latest posts

Back