Cab Sauvignon Kit Fermentation Stuck

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torvil

Reaction score
Hello my this is my first go at brewing a kit. I purchased two kits from Wikos a Blackberry and Cab Sauvinion. Under the same conditions the blackberry FG was at 995 so has moved into the next stage of conditioning. The Cab Sauvinion's FG however has stuck at 1018 over the last 4 days. The airlock has not bubbled for days now, and I've been keeping it warm on the same heat pad.
The instructions suggest that the fermentation hasn't completed as it terminate at 995-998. Should I/could I kick start fermentation or is it ruined?

If its in a DJ give it a good shake, if it's in a bucket give it a good stir and see what happens.

Do you check the temperature regularly?

I don't take the temp as I done have a thermometer. It is warm, maybe too warm on the heat pad. I will shake it and see what happens. I do have some yeast nutrient and super yeast compound but they are from 2007. I guess if it gets to it these will be no good now?

The shaking sea to have done the trick. Albeit I can't get an accurate reding now as the hydrometer sink straight to the bottom of the demijar, leaving the top of the solution at the 1000 mark of the gravity reading. Am I correct in assuming that it would not be a good hide to top up with water?

Thank you very much. I topped it up and the Gravity was at about 1000 so not too far off. Added the stabiliser and finings, shook it and it's now in the utility room which is about 14 oC which I hope is ok. I'll let you know how I get on when it clears before bottling.

Back